Starting over, questions abound!

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Post picks for sure. But if I understand your description, by removing the 2 bacn vertical supports, you will leave no supports along the back of a 6' length...?...ya, I would put them back.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
Yeah, will be just the corners. From all whom I've asked I'm getting the same wrong answer! So, what if i were to frame out a spot to slide sump in, like a door frame in house? The problem is the sump is about 2" deeper than my stand, so can't just take out verticals and put them back in same place.

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
Looks like i've once again over thought my problem. I'll put sump (36") dead center, then verticals on each side. I'm a hammer. Anyone with toddlers will get that!

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
KBennett said:
jeffopentax said:
I would've thought restricting flow would make it work harder. Guess i'm backwards :)

Youd think so, but power is flow times pressure. Pressure is related to speed, but speed is constant, therefore power is a function of flow. If you dead head it, no flow, so no power transferred, so the pump doesnt work as hard. The impellar would just spin without moving any water other than the water between the blades.

If it was a positive displacement pump, it'd be a different story.

Very glad to cleared that up!! A lot of people think it is the other way around.... But you can actually prove this theory with a vacuum also..... Vacuum uses less power when you seal the end closed... Even though it appears and sounds like it is working harder....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
Here is a pic of my stand.
qa5a7eda.jpg

Turns out I have 5 rear verticals, including corners. To get sump in I need to remove 2, which will leave a 49" span without a vertical. Still necessary to put them back?

Sewerat

Super Active Member
4' is still a big span to cover. Get them out thin them down then put them back in? Run them down the edge of a table saw and take off one blade thickness that should cover the 1/4" your too small

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
Possible change in plans.... Looking at switching to cube tank, but wife won't allow it until i find buyer for current tank! $300 for 135g tank + stand. Beananimal overflow of course! If it doesn't sell in a couple days i'll scrap the cube idea and keep what I have. Pm or text 519-209-1128 :)

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
Sewerat said:
4' is still a big span to cover. Get them out thin them down then put them back in? Run them down the edge of a table saw and take off one blade thickness that should cover the 1/4" your too small

So simple I'm stupid! But it will require 2 blade thicknesses :)

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
I'm sure most, or at least some, will laugh at this question, but bear with me! Would vinyl gutters be aquarium safe? My thinking is i can use them as a cheap overflow/skimmer box for the cube tank i'm planning on picking up tonight. I have no plexi, and don't want to spend $80 on a box that isn't even the shape/size that I want. Alternative suggestions welcome!

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
I doubt that it is reef safe at all. Not sure the polymer, but I would vote a big fat NOT reef safe.

You can always just grab up some acrylic and build one. I did, and mine is great. Plus maybe JT has one hanging around.

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
Torx said:
I doubt that it is reef safe at all. Not sure the polymer, but I would vote a big fat NOT reef safe.

You can always just grab up some acrylic and build one. I did, and mine is great. Plus maybe JT has one hanging around.

Not the answer I was hoping for, but noted! Where is a good place (close to Brantford) to get acrylic? Only stuff I can find is .22" thick @ $100 for 24"x48".