Starting over, questions abound!

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
Yeah the current setup is just for "proof of concept" to make sure i don't miss anything major before moving it back into house. Will be using proflex sump once in house. If gluing doesn't quiet it down, i'll try gate valve.

Sewerat

Super Active Member
I know that is just his temp sump as his sump is in my basement right now so final adjustment of the height of those pipes will be done once in place. But yes Jeff you will want a gate valve where you can get at it for full adjustment. A ball valve is just too hard to pinpoint to exact spot.

KBennett

You could try threaded fittings if you want to try the ball valves... Then it would be easy to change out if you dont like them. I have ball valves and it isnt that bad...

Sewerat

Super Active Member
I'm heading to lowes London today for lots of pvc stuff. I'll check and see if they have a gate valve while I'm there for ya. But another option for one might be a local pool/spa place.

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
So it turns out the noise I've been hearing, which sounds like air/water, is actually my return pump! Had to unplug to plug something else in, and noticed the second i unplugged it, the noise stopped. So i guess for total silence i need a new pump.

pulpfiction1

Reef Scavenger
there are a couple of factors ive found,water level in overflow with higher flow,if the water is lower in my overflow i will hear the waterfall effect going over my weir,adjustment can be a bit tricky with the ball valve (what i use as well) but i want max flow and currently running my jebo 12000 at the 3rd light on controller,also i would use larger than 1" plumbing next time for greater flow as well,the 1" seems to be somewhat restricting and limits how much flow i can run through my system

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
My overflow box is somehow completely silent, wether it's 1/3 full or 1/4" from the top. 1" seems to be doing well even with mag full open (and noisy), which should be roughly 950gph. Knock on wood, i think i got this thing ready to go! Wife is going to have to find another reason to not have 135g in living room :)

KBennett

jeffopentax said:
I've got a mag 9, and using ball valve to control flow. Only noisy when fully open. Seems kinda backwards.

These pumps run the same speed, no matter what the flow. Therefore they are working harder when they are pushing more water.

KBennett

jeffopentax said:
I would've thought restricting flow would make it work harder. Guess i'm backwards :)

Youd think so, but power is flow times pressure. Pressure is related to speed, but speed is constant, therefore power is a function of flow. If you dead head it, no flow, so no power transferred, so the pump doesnt work as hard. The impellar would just spin without moving any water other than the water between the blades.

If it was a positive displacement pump, it'd be a different story.

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
I'm going to run my pump in vinegar and see if that helps. Bought it used and replaced impeller, so not going to invest to much time/effort into it. If I do replace it, I'm thinking of going with this
http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0074VUHO2/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_kibQtb117RVMW

I have an Aquatop cf500uv canister filter and it is amazing in comparison to the fluval 404! Anybody using an aquatop pump?

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
And now a structural question. My stand is framed with 3"x2.5" pine (2 - 1.5"x2.5" screwed and glued together). As it sits now, it has bottom frame (72"x18"), with 8 uprights (studs) around the perimeter, then top frame. I will need to remove 2 uprights to slide sump in from back. I'm wondering if I need to replace those uprights, or if I've over built it enough to leave them out. Not the best description, but hopefully good enough! If I can leave them out , I can do that in living room. If not, I have to haul it to garage!