Starting over, questions abound!

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
How thick plywood should i use to skin the stand for my cube? I used 1/4" for my 135g and had quite a bit of noise, given it was right beside my couch, from skimmer/return. Would 1/2" be sufficient, or should i go 3/4"?

Sewerat

Super Active Member
If it's good styro yes not that cheap white stuff need to be the good blue or pink. Look for potential used stuff from flat roofs, roofing companies sometimes sell 2x4 pieces of it for really cheap. I bought a bunch for 2$ a piece years back

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
Dont ever buy pink insulation from a flat roof im a roofer only use is exposed inverted roofs or under patio stones and trust me the stuff they sit in aside from bird crap mold and mildew i would not want to see anyone use it in their house no matter how well you clean it you wont get it from inside the pores... and yes the pink styro is amazing sound proofing ( 2" on all wallsoof guitar room prove it lol)

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
Checked in on my liverock tonight (always interesting to see what's out and about) and saw this...
ja8egy5a.jpg
upy5yry4.jpg

About 2.5"-3" long. Pics are crap but best i could get before it disappeared. Anyone want to venture a guess as to what it is?

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
There are fire bristle worms (red) and regular (brownish)

The fire ones are the real bastards to touch as I believe they have something in spikes that causes pain and itching.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
Yea normal bristle worms aren't that bad, touched one the other day that was lodged In a sponge I was cleaning for a filter, spent 1 hr pulling all the damn bristles out but wasn't that bad

Sewerat

Super Active Member
Nice looking sump like yours and you want to cover it in foam? I'd start by getting a piece on the floor for the sump to sit on. Then place a sheet on each panel for the inside. If you look at car stereo places locally you can find a product called dynamat it's a noise suppression film, sticky and flexible. Used on interiors of high end custom installation jobs. It really knocks the sound down for car stereos it could be used to cover stuff on the inside as well

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
Haha sump will never be seen by anyone but me, and i couldn't care less what it looks like :) Will use foam inside stand as originally planned. Foam on sump would've been easier, but i guess there's a reason nobody does it that way!

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
Foam on your sump ins't going to make much difference in sound at all. Keep in mind that its open top and all the sound will escape from there. That's why people insulate their stands.

I used the blue insulation from home depot on a clients stand and what a difference. But mind you I did all doors, sides and even attached some pieces to the back openings as well to close it off. You'll need to leave a bit of space on the openings on the back. Or you'll end up with a real moisture issue in the stand.