Starting over, questions abound!

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
Sold all my fish, looking to implement bean animal before starting again.  Has anyone drilled 3/8"-5/8" (forgot to measure before i left for work) glass before?  Hoping someone has successfully,  and would be willing to try mine.  Zero liability of course!

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Re: Starting over, anybody drilled a 135g?

I did 1/2" on my current 120g. You can see the pics in my signature, but in case you are using Tapatalk, here is a pic from the thread and a link. Not able to swing by, but it is easy to do. Just slow, steady and lots of water.

imagejpeg_2_zps0a2999c2.jpg

pulpfiction1

Reef Scavenger

Yes let  the drill do all the work I have drilled up to three quarters of an inch thick I found thinner glass required more caution

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk HD

jeffopentax

Super Active Member

Feel a little better about giving it a go.  Worst case scenario is i crack it, then have no choice but to go buy a bigger tank! ;)  Since i'll need to drill 3 holes, should i spread them out as far as possible?

pulpfiction1

Reef Scavenger

I guess it all depends on how well the first one goes
I would say at least a few inches apart

jeffopentax

Super Active Member

Found this while shopping for diamond bit.  Thought it might be helpful for anyone considering drilling their tank.
http://youtu.be/rzpOtssB9mA

dale

i just successfully drilled 4 1.75" holes in 1\4" glass with no info or instruction, just go slow (i used high speed on the drill) and use common sense (and water), you can feel and hear what its doing...

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor

I did an internal weir with an external box, works good but I wish I had made the weir so it was only about an inch in the tank, it causes a lot of shadow.

pulpfiction1

Reef Scavenger

most of what I learned about the bean animal I learn from this site

http://www.beananimal.com/

jeffopentax

Super Active Member

Good to see some people on here using bean animal, as i'm sure i'll have more questions once i get underway.  Is it truly silent and "set and forget"?  Only want to do this once.  Gotta keep the wife happy, and my sanity intact!

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor

it is silent, you need a gate valve to be able to dial it in properly, I've had to tweak mine a couple times in a year so I would say yes, set and forget.

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
Starting over, anybody drilled a 135g?

I was going to use a 75g tank a friend gave me as my sump.  To do so would require major modifications to my stand.  Doable, but i'd rather not.  A 55g would require far less rebuilding.  Anyone wanna trade a 55g for a 75g?  Definitely not suitable for dt.

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin

those extensions off the top.  keep them as short as possible especially if you are doing a basement setup or have long horizontals.  they will trap air and vapor lock the line causing your start to over flow on start up.  I had to put an air line tube off of all three of my drains to give air a place to escape out of the tube.  I also have a 10 ft drp and a 35 ft horizontal run.

I also do not use 90s on my siphon bulk head, again it starts faster with the basement and horizontal run.  I also have 1inch pipe which if I had gone with 1.25 or 1.5 I do not think I would have had any of these issues.