Starting over, questions abound!

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
Ok, got all my rock out and stored in Rubbermaid with power head.  What do I do with my sand?  Can I save $100+ by saving it and reusing it, or should I buy new?

To Mods: feel free to move this thread to different category.  Trying to keep all info in one place, but it's not really a Build Thread.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
Sewerat link said:
Jeff I have been told sand at or around 2\". Or over 7\" otherwise it dies. But then again....what do I know?

Probably know more than me!  Not really concerned about keeping it live, but more abour whether there could be a possible negative effect ie. decay from dieoff

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
I have had sand stored in a few pails for a couple weeks.... yes they turned all stinky and rotten egg smelling at the bottom.  I rinsed the sand in another bucket a little at a time until the water coming out of it ran clear.  twirl it by hand, blast it with the garden hose, pour out the scuzz, repeat with another 8th -1/4 bucket. 

Worked for me just fine. 

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
Neopimp link said:
I have had sand stored in a few pails for a couple weeks.... yes they turned all stinky and rotten egg smelling at the bottom.  I rinsed the sand in another bucket a little at a time until the water coming out of it ran clear.  twirl it by hand, blast it with the garden hose, pour out the scuzz, repeat with another 8th -1/4 bucket. 

Worked for me just fine. 

yup its doable to clean it, but might be worth your time to just buy new... takes a while to clean a couple pails of sand

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
The sand I washed was  about. 6 months old in smaller tank and then stored in a bucket for a month.  Just to give you an idea

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
Back to the beananimal... Can any 2 drains converge to one line before entering sump?  Which 2? Planning on using aqueon proflex 4 sump, which has two "in" lines.
pypumajy.jpg

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
you could combine the trickle and the ermg if you wanted to but the siphon wouldn't work if combined with anything but another siphon. if you teed into that then you would suck a ton of air into the stream and turn your sump into a bubble tub.

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
Neopimp link said:
you could combine the trickle and the ermg if you wanted to but the siphon wouldn't work if combined with anything but another siphon. if you teed into that then you would suck a ton of air into the stream and turn your sump into a bubble tub.

That's what i figured.  Thanks for confirming :)

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
I wouldn't combine any of them.  I would find an open spot anywhere in the sump and run the ermeg line there, keeping the trickle and the siphon on the inlets

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
could try it with the combination but I would have a back up plan lol

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
pulpfiction1 link said:
the full syphon on the bean animal shouldnt be more than a couple of inches below the water,i had restart issues at first untill i read this tid bit

Good to know!  Prob saved me a whole lot of aggravation!

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
jeffopentax link said:
[quote author=pulpfiction1 link=topic=8730.msg95426#msg95426 date=1401543462]
the full syphon on the bean animal shouldnt be more than a couple of inches below the water,i had restart issues at first untill i read this tid bit

Good to know!  Prob saved me a whole lot of aggravation!
[/quote]

Curious if you have the elbows on the top of your siphons pulp or if it just a straight open stand pipe?

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
Neopimp link said:
I wouldn't combine any of them.  I would find an open spot anywhere in the sump and run the ermeg line there, keeping the trickle and the siphon on the inlets

Suppose it would actually easier to run emergency into another chamber.

Sewerat

Super Active Member
I'd consider running the emerg direct to the pump side, if you are getting high in tank level you should be getting low in sump level. Would help to prevent a burnt out pump as well