Starting over, questions abound!

pulpfiction1

Reef Scavenger
Neopimp link said:
I wouldn't combine any of them.  I would find an open spot anywhere in the sump and run the ermeg line there, keeping the trickle and the siphon on the inlets
+1  i wouldnt combine any,the emergency is just that  emergency,nothing flows through it unless your overflow gets to high,could just dump into any compartment,dont even need to be in water, just aimed

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
Drilling complete, with no damage to tank as far as I can tell. To anyone considering getting their tank drilled, it really isn't hard. The two lfs I checked with said they charge $50/hole, with zero liability, and you owe them $50/hole even if the tank cracks in the process. My logic says save your money and take the risk yourself! Of course, I have another question. Does anyone know what would happen if I connect my skimmer pump to skimmer via 6" long pvc pipe instead of directly to each other? Think due to space restraints in sump I'd like to have pump in one chamber, and skimmer body in the next.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Damn...50$/hole. I did 5 holes in less then an hour...set up drilled, cleaned up and beer break. That means over $250/hour cash. That is craziness. How much are the bits again Pulp? We may need to go into business lol

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
Torx said:
Damn...50$/hole. I did 5 holes in less then an hour...set up drilled, cleaned up and beer break. That means over $250/hour cash. That is craziness. How much are the bits again Pulp? We may need to go into business lol

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk

Haha yeah I spent about 45min laying out and drilling 3 holes. Bit was about $13 I think.

pulpfiction1

Reef Scavenger
Re: RE: Starting over, questions abound!

jeffopentax said:
Is there any point in using a valve on each drain of beananimal, or is the siphon the only one that will ever need adjustment?

full syphon is only one madatory

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk HD

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
Anybody use these types of fittings, or at least know if they are aquarium safe?
http://m.homedepot.ca/Product/productdetails.aspx?ProductId=839201&lang=EN

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
Got beananimal up and running. Very happy with it for the most part. Only one problem: the trickle drain is somewhat noisy. I have not glued everything, so there is likely a bit of air getting in through the joints. Would foam wrap reduce the noise, or is there some adjustment i am missing/need to make?

KBennett

jeffopentax said:
Got beananimal up and running. Very happy with it for the most part. Only one problem: the trickle drain is somewhat noisy. I have not glued everything, so there is likely a bit of air getting in through the joints. Would foam wrap reduce the noise, or is there some adjustment i am missing/need to make?

Do you have a durso top on it? That should quiet it. You also have to tune it so that very little goes down the trickle so it doesnt bubble in your sump.

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
I wonder if placement of valve has any effect. Higher? Lower?
gazy9u9u.jpg

KBennett

jeffopentax said:
I wonder if placement of valve has any effect. Higher? Lower?
gazy9u9u.jpg

If the siphon is noisy it is because air is getting in. It will be quiet once you glue everything. Is that blue tube coming out of the durso? If not, there should be an air tube sticking out the durso hole to quiet the noise. Normally a durso has a reducer as it goes through the bottom of the overflow. Im not sure if that has anything to do with noise reduction...

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
Yeah that's an airline. Trickle is now silent with zero bubbles. I'll glue up what i can (can't glue to tank till it's in place). Hopefully that'll fix it. Still a million db quieter than HOB i was using!

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
Your going to have trouble dialing the drain in with that ball valve, you should use a gate valve, also it looks like your pipes are too deep in the water, I find it works best with them about 1 inch in the water.