Reef Keepers 220 Sps Build

reef keeper

Super Active Member
Well that's all done. I am very glad I made the back of the tank accessible-ish.

I'll leave it till tomorrow night and fire up the iwaki. That pump is pretty quiet. Just a dull hum. I like the wicked flow it puts out. Holy smokes!

Kman

Super Active Member
Because it's rimmed they told me not to put foam underneath.

I would put foam underneath it. Guess what happened to my first 180 that was rimmed and I didn’t put foam under it? The bottom cracked after a week of it being setup and leaked all 180 gallons on the floor. All it takes is the floor to be slightly off and that trim doesn't stop anything.

reeferkeeper420

Distinguished Member
Just a thought, thhat has always bothered me.. does foam really do much when you have 2000pds sitting on it???? For me id think it wouldbt do anything with that much weight on it. Could be wrong tho.

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Just a thought, thhat has always bothered me.. does foam really do much when you have 2000pds sitting on it???? For me id think it wouldbt do anything with that much weight on it. Could be wrong tho.

Mines on foam ( no trim custom build tank) and when filled the foam barely compressed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

reef keeper

Super Active Member
I asked concept if I needed foam and they said no. The tank and 3/4" plywood top were in full contact before I put any water in. Even on reef central they said not to bother in most cases

heath

Distinguished Member
I haven't put foam under my last 3 tanks.. if the tank is poorly made or has a flaw in it foam is not going to stop it from cracking or coming apart and leaking..one thing that I do use (and not crazy about it) is egg crate to disturb the weight of the rock..IMHO..

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
I normally recommend foam as well. But if the manufacturer doesn't recommend it. I'd say stay away.

I normally run foam under my tanks. This latest build I did not because of my floor and stand. Didn't feel the need for it this time.

@reeferkeeper420 the idea of foam is to help level out any small imperfections in the stand or tank build. Normally doesn't look like it compresses much. But you would be surprised what a 1/8" of a difference from one side to the other can do for pressure on the glass.

Kman

Super Active Member
The one time I didn't use foam and the tank cracked and dumped over 200 gallons of water on my floor. For me I learned my lesson well and have used it ever since. Big tanks are heavy and you just never know what they are going to do.

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
I gotta think if the tank manufacturer says don't use foam, it's best not to use it! They obviously don't want their tanks to fail. Just not good for business :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
normmally id say ask the manufacturer but i will always use foam under its not so much the tank or stand i worry more about foundation and floor settling over time. as your house ages there is quite a bit of movement even just a 5 year period so even if stand becomes un level your tank stays level.

reef keeper

Super Active Member
The foam isn't going to make any difference if the floor settles or stand settles. From what I have read, it's for acrylic tanks or glass tanks with no trim as it provides full bottom support and if there are any sharp spots or small point loads on the stand. If the tank isn't level, you are dependant on the seams to save you

heath

Distinguished Member
normmally id say ask the manufacturer but i will always use foam under its not so much the tank or stand i worry more about foundation and floor settling over time. as your house ages there is quite a bit of movement even just a 5 year period so even if stand becomes un level your tank stays level.
I agree with Steve on new construction and settling, Christ, I would have to have a tornado come through my place to move the floor, oops we did.. my floors are 12" of cement..they don't build like they used to..:D

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
The foam isn't going to make any difference if the floor settles or stand settles. From what I have read, it's for acrylic tanks or glass tanks with no trim as it provides full bottom support and if there are any sharp spots or small point loads on the stand. If the tank isn't level, you are dependant on the seams to save you
it will do alot the foam will absorb up to 1/4" difference which will save your tank if things shift even when not needed it is still beneficial and some manufacturers tell you that

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member

No foam for acrylic it has to be on a solid full base the choice is melamine boards because they are PERFECTLY flat. However acrylic tanks are much more tolerant of being out of level or subjected to movement and vibration (why they are so popular in California).

For large glass tanks I have always used fibreboard to top stands as it will compress like an ultra dense foam but is also perfectly flat as manufactured.