Reef Keepers 220 Sps Build

reef keeper

Super Active Member
Ok. Tonight I managed to do the following

1. Glue in the drain lines
2. Attach the pipe supports and lock the pipes in
3. Finished the sump!!

Here are some progress pics. The sump silicone hasn't been trimmed but I think it looks pretty good. The sump is kind of confusing from these pics, but essentially it goes DRAIN - socks - skimmer - fuge - bubble trap - return.

Fuge measures 30" x 16.5" x 18" wide. 37 gallons. That's almost 20% of my tank volume.

Here some sump construction pics

The bubble trap

The glass supports for the sock holder

These fit together almost like I had a plan

And this is the sock holder JT built for me. It's top quality as always

Here are the other pics. Pipe supports and a shot under the stand

Tomorrow the plumbing gets finished and its its GOGO GADGET AQUASCAPING

reef keeper

Super Active Member
The return pump. I was going to run the skimmer out of one too, but decided against it. I will plug one. Skimmer now runs out of the side and the pump will be in the cabinet.

I am such a messy worker. Tomorrow cleanup day. Woo. Hoo.

reef keeper

Super Active Member
I cleaned up.

AFTER

I finished the return plumbing, mostly finished the overflow plumbing and DID finish my bean animal overflows.

My wife looked at me sideways when I asked her if she wanted to help me put the sump in the stand lmao. She tried to lift it and no dice. I guess when you add 50 lbs of glass to a 200 lb tank it gets heavy. I moved it on 2x4s and she helped lift it the other 3 inches to slide it in the stand. It fits perfectly. And there is so much room in the stand for other equipment.

I've put the sand in, and am starting on the rock work.

Here's a few pics to keep you all satisfied

That rock work actually looks cool in person lol

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
The return pump. I was going to run the skimmer out of one too, but decided against it. I will plug one. Skimmer now runs out of the side and the pump will be in the cabinet.

I am such a messy worker. Tomorrow cleanup day. Woo. Hoo.

Assuming you're still running an external pressure pump to make the Becketts preform as they should, make sure that where it draws from will still have a water supply even if the return fails...

Not a two stage sump...sorry just trying to get the vision...lol

reef keeper

Super Active Member
Lol. It's all good. It feeds from the stage kinda after the socks. They are kind of in the same compartment. Then it will feed back into the fuge or skimmer section again.

Just got my rocks done.

Holy hell I had a ton of rock. I bet there's a hundred pounds of Tonga and shelf here. Plus all the other stuff. Guess who selling cooked rock.

reef keeper

Super Active Member
Well the tank is full and the sump has about 10 gallons to go! I got some foam mats for under the iwaki so, which I hope will eliminate any vibration noise and save me from putting insulation under the cabinet. I ended up cutting out the flex hose on the return lines and re gluing in hard pvc. It looks neater and I have to say that I trust it more. I also plumbed hard pic down to where the return line comes over the edge of the sump (towards the return pump) and glued in about 18" of spa flex there and then back to hard pic to the pump. I've added about 70% of the salt I need (4 bags) until I get the tank all filled.

I'm going to wait over night for the spa flex connections to reach 100% strength before I fire up the pump.

I've got one of my MP40 running on the tank now to mix the salt in, and see what the tank looks like with some flow.

Thus far, the rock work seems to be great for flow. It's very open. Also added about 50 or 60 lbs of rock to the refugium part of the sump. Excited to almost being at the starting line!

reef keeper

Super Active Member
I need to redo that T connection feeding the returns. A tiny slow drip developed. I've already glued up a new T with the small vertical piece that feeds down to the return pump. What a PITA. Won't take long to fix. Sump is full and tank has another bag of salt. One more should reach the salinity level I want. Then cycle time

On another note - that bean animal is ridiculously efficient and quiet. Holy!