New 125

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Quick pic of the tank, the rock is the dryrock, I'll have to slowly bring the old rock over, so I've left lots of space. Only one light in there right now, so tough to get a good colur pic.
Started the canopy, will be ordering the skin for the stand and canopy soon.
5.jpg

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
I've got 2x4's on the walls, but used the 2x3's for that healthy balance of strength/weight. Notice the overly clever angle brace with birdsmouth cuts. That's clever shit right there. I can skin it on the sides and make a matching hinged front, and have an insane amount of space in there for lights, swings, fans, fog machines, you name it.

Just noticed an issue with one of the silicone edges, whole tank might have to be ripped down and re-built, not sure yet. If so I would rather do it now before it's set up and stocked, but it will definitely be a setback.

zoomster

I've got 2x4's on the walls, but used the 2x3's for that healthy balance of strength/weight. Notice the overly clever angle brace with birdsmouth cuts. That's clever shit right there. I can skin it on the sides and make a matching hinged front, and have an insane amount of space in there for lights, swings, fans, fog machines, you name it.

Just noticed an issue with one of the silicone edges, whole tank might have to be ripped down and re-built, not sure yet. If so I would rather do it now before it's set up and stocked, but it will definitely be a setback.
That sucks Salty! I know what its like to have to tear down a new tank because of silicone issues. Best not to take a chance. IMO I would do it and get it over with now. If you have ANY doubts now, you will never feel fully comfortable or confident in the tank in regards to failure.
Also, still think a titanium light frame would rock your set up - just sayin' :)

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Yeah I have to agree. Ah well, it's only one side, hopefully I can get a knife in there and not have to smash out the glass and order another piece...

Anyone have an extra olive drum to loan? I have one that will hold ~50 gallons, but it would such to waste all that minty fresh salt water. ??

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
an insane amount of space in there for lights, swings, fans, fog machines, you name it.
...sounds like your master bedroom!

Yeah I have to agree. Ah well, it's only one side, hopefully I can get a knife in there and not have to smash out the glass and order another piece...

Anyone have an extra olive drum to loan? I have one that will hold ~50 gallons, but it would such to waste all that minty fresh salt water. ??
I have a couple of drums that have only held lab grade Calcium Chloride solution that I grabbed for my build that you are welcome to use if you want. It will be a while before I need them.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Cool! I might just slip out and grab them soon if that's okay, I might just want to get this done instead of staring at it and scratching my chin. Hopefully I would be able to returm them within a couple of days (as soon as silicone sets). ?

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
kudos to adinfinitum for the loan of a couple of drums to hold the water. So got the panel out, what a job that was. Glad I did, as I was right, the silicone in the front was not bonded really at all. Must have shifted right as it was setting. As the pressure built on the glass the cavities all filled with air and were visible. The inner seal was solid but really the only thing holding that part on...so definitely glad I took the effort. Now to get it back together.
7.jpg
8.jpg
9.jpg

Nick James

I hope the builder of your tank is going to take care of this for you Glenn. I would be nervous fixing it myself, plus you paid them to build it right in the first place!

Status
Not open for further replies.