New 125

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luke.

Distinguished Member
I don't mean to say this in your buikd thread , but talking about caulking issues made me think ... Do factories test tanks before shipping ?

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Yeah, I did the tank up, and not sure how that panel moved, but it's back in place now and curing.

I would think that custom tank places test for water tightness, factories probably only test one out of 100. I will say that silicone is pretty damn strong, getting a tank apart is almost as hard as as putting one together. I'm going to leave the clamps on for 2 days, maybe I took them off too soon last time, who knows. Rock is in the sump with a heater and a circ pump, should be fine in there, anything that had started to grow should be okay, water is in the drums, so should be back in business by the weekend.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Good god, Finally got it filled up and it's as bad or worse than the first time!
That's it, I'm done, going to pack it up and take it to sealife, something isn't right. I scraped the areas with a razor blade and had cleaned with acetone and then vinegar/water. There shouldn't be any residue at all of any kind. No idea what is going on, but definitely can't leave it like this. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
All I can think of is the piece of glass isn't right, it's still poking up 1/8" at the top so maybe it was cut right, because I KNOW I had the silicone really in there this time. It was perfect until the water went in...
ugh.jpg

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
I'm using an industrial grade silicone, it's the same all the way around, this is the only spot this is happening, and the pane of glass doesn't look like it quite fits, I'm wondering if it's off by a couple of thousandths or something. The seam is good until water goes in, then it goes white (air bubbles)

Shooter000

HomeGrownFrags
My only guess is that if the clamps are to tight and the gap in between panes is bigger that the silicone is being compressed while drying, then once dried and clamps are off, silicone decomposes and is slightly stressed then once water goes in it reaches its elasticity capacity and splits along the easiest path, or, or, it's just not meant to be and you have to give it all to shooter000 cause all that glass is bad luck;)

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
man thats a bummer :(
just dont give up though, once it comes together it will look awesome.
SO MUCH better your finding this out now then when its full of fish and corals.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
So still no tank. Gary says he's been busy so it's just sat in his shop. I gave him the tank late august, it is now late Oct. 2 months....

Just had a $1600 "catchup" hydro bill so very seriously thinking about throwing in the towel on this. Just tell him to keep the tank and walk away. I mean, I started this in April and am no closer to getting the new tank up and running than I was then.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
If snow flies I can't move the tank in, so that will likely be the deciding factor. It was treacherous moving that thing (twice) when the weather was perfect.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Update: Possibility that the tank might be home by Sun/Mon/Tues. Who knows.

Current tank is sort of just cruising along, water changes and dosing. Once the new tank is back here I plan to let it sit and cure for about a week then fill. If the seams look bad...well we'll see.

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    484.2 KB · Views: 95

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
oh you poor thing, how do you get by with such a sub par display tank... muffin cakes... :(

haha, no sympathy when you have a kick ass display like that ;)

Yeah, well waiting 3 months for a piece of glass is a bit annoying. The current tank is odd, I have incredible growth out of a couple of a few corals, way too much to be honest, but a few others are just sitting, no new growth. So this is a good time to shake them up and do the move, one that I had anticipated would have been done in May.

Status
Not open for further replies.