Status
Not open for further replies.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Looking good, that is a nice wave. Will be interested to see how you fair with the T5s. Without starting a whole LED/T5 debate, I think it is a good call. As Phil noted, I wouldn't be too worried about 3 ppm nitrates either, probably right around where you want it to be for SPS anyway. Your LPS may even appreciate more.

I do love LED and will be going back to them. I just need new lights now and a decent LED system is just not in the budget. Looking to spend almost $900 for the lights that I want and I was able to get a 6 bulb T5 with bulbs for A LOT cheaper.

teebone110

Distinguished Member
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Looking good, that is a nice wave. Will be interested to see how you fair with the T5s. Without starting a whole LED/T5 debate, I think it is a good call. As Phil noted, I wouldn't be too worried about 3 ppm nitrates either, probably right around where you want it to be for SPS anyway. Your LPS may even appreciate more.

+1
I think a low level of nitrate is essential for optimal sps health. Biopellets can strip your tank clean of nitrates. I know some have used sodium nitrate to maintain proper levels when using bio pellets. It's phosphate that is the enemy

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
+1
I think a low level of nitrate is essential for optimal sps health. Biopellets can strip your tank clean of nitrates. I know some have used sodium nitrate to maintain proper levels when using bio pellets. It's phosphate that is the enemy

+1 i use to try and keep nitrate as close to zero as possible but have realised since keeping a little and maintaining low levels im getting crazy insane polyp extension on acros and milli and montis look almost like a shag carpet.... dont think i will ever run bio pellets seems that my carbon and densly stocked fuge have been doing the trick..... who knows maybe all those pod nauplii are responsible

saltyair

Right now I have 1 DIY LED and one 50/50 chinese LED. Worked well on LPS and softies, but not powerful enough in the long run of things. Can not afford a good LED fixture at the moment, so I am doing T5's for a while first. I have them on for 8-10 hours depending on the day.

;) thank you for the info - but I wanted to know what salt and your water change schedule - you must get people asking about ur lights a lot

saltyair

I have slowed down on my w/c to every three weeks 15 gal I am using the aquavitro salt. Has great chemistry but does not mix well. I do like io but cal, mag and alk are to low.
Thinking on going back to dd

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
48" 6 bulb Tek Light Elite installed. LIght is about 6" over the water line. Went with Blue Plus, Coral Plus, Actinic, Purple Plus, Coral Plus, Blue Plus for my bulb order to even the coloring on both sides of my rock work. After only one day, I am impressed. Of coarse I did not have a great LED set up prior, but the corals have loved these lights. Some are already showing colors I did not know they had. The PE on my montis is awesome to see, especially with that wave I have tuned in right now. Pics will be up soon.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
New lights installed

2iuz4oz.jpg

288tafo.jpg

Although I have lots of new beautiful peices from here, here is my favorite new piece. No idea what it is called though and pictures do not do it justice lol.

n2e8mx.jpg

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
dude that looks sweet :) gotta love shaggy montis too its funny when it looks like a fuzzy birdsnest, i know my red digis polyps are dense
It is awesome to watch, looks like a bunch of metal heads at a Pantera show. I have another that doesn't have a lot of color in the body right now, as most I acquired lately were already browned out or bleached, but the PE is florescent green.

9db346dba604d914928344b946ce5e9d.jpg

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
well my golden rule is long as i can see pe its saveable and colour comes back normally pretty quick and shouldnt take long with those new lights you got.... that was the perfect analogy for it

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Looks good Torx. Maybe I missed it, didn't read back at all, but what bulb combo did you go with?
Went with Blue Plus, Coral Plus, Actinic, Purple Plus, Coral Plus, Blue Plus for my bulb order to even the coloring on both sides of my rock work.
Looks good!

Can't dispute how nice T5's look over a reef. Such uniform light.

Bet ya miss the shimmer though ;)

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk 2
I sure do miss the shimmer. My old light was a DIY LED, so I will be removing the leds and making 2 strip lights as soon as I get more heat sink adhesive off ebay.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Another lighting question, running the outside Blue Plus for 12 hours and the rest 8 hours. 10:30-10:30 Blue Plus, and 12:30-8:30 for the middle bulbs. Is that right? OR any other suggestions? Again, I went with Went with Blue Plus, Coral Plus, Actinic, Purple Plus, Coral Plus, Blue Plus for my bulb order.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Note to self...when you set up your doser, be sure to turn on the auto function. *facepalm* After a week of apparently not dosing, my alk tanked to nothing, cal and mag are nice and low to. Started raising it all slowly last night and double checked the doser is auto working now.

Status
Not open for further replies.