Reef Keepers 220 Sps Build

reef keeper

Super Active Member
Today I finished assembling the doors for the front of the cabinet. It's screaming hot out, so I'll be varathaning them tonight.

I added about 15 snails and 3 fighting conch (or whatever type they are!) and also picked up a beautiful gold millepora, a purple and fluorescent orange chalice and another encrusting coral. I have a few spots that really don't lend themselves to corals that are dense or can catch debris.

My rocks are finally not white, and the coralline algae is beginning to show up all over the tank! Last week I had picked up a purple and green polyps stag and 2 millepora - a dark maroon with bright pink tips, and a blue with bright blue tips. It's all starting to come together now.

I also added GAC today.

One thing I'm noticing is all the minute particulate in the water. I assume this is just part of the new tank deal. I'm changing filter socks every couple of days all of a sudden!

Pipes

Where are you getting your GAC (I assume your talking carbon)? I buy mine (bag) by the cubic foot. What type is it?

teebone110

Distinguished Member
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Sorry man, that really sucks.

I would let things chill for a bit and try not to add anything for a while. You might be experiencing symptoms of new tank syndrome. That was a lot of bioload in a relatively short period of time.

Jewel

Sorry to hear about the fish, Minor set back really, You've got a great system there, I agree with T, Alot of bio-load quickly. Slow down, take your time with your additions and before you know it you'll wanna bigger tank. Patience is the key. I've been there, Some times it's good to just step back for awhile and let the system mature a bit. Best wishes

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
Sorry man, that really sucks.

I would let things chill for a bit and try not to add anything for a while. You might be experiencing symptoms of new tank syndrome. That was a lot of bioload in a relatively short period of time.
+1 to all of the above...

IME we get a system going really well and kid ourselves into thinking we've got this game all figured out and the new system will be nothing but smooth sailing... That's about when the Reef Gods slap you down and tell you it was time not skill that made your old system work so well... LOL

You have all the right pieces in place...it's still gonna be awesome!!!

Jewel

You got it, You'd think having Pristine conditions would be ideal but it isn't for what ever reason, Having that much water should absorb any abnormalities but it doesn't, Why it happens i'll never know. Countless Reefers have set up systems only to see losses in live stock, or Mega SPS loss. I've been around awhile and setting up any system initially can be boring as hell, Sure it's a beautiful tank, lots of potential and it will be a great system no doubt about it. It Will, but it's gonna take time. You said the Coral were fine, great. Nows the time to just sit back and enjoy those 3 fish, go slow. The most successful system I ever had was set-up and just sit with Rock and sand circulating for 3 months, It was hard but there it sat getting all my perameters stable, getting the Phosphate down to near nothing, then slowly, clean up Crew, One fish, wait a month, ad another, wait again, pretty boring but I never lost a fish or had algea issue, Really nice system, you'll be fine just takes time.

Jewel

Forgot to say those MH give your Corals that added chance to not only survive but to excel, Great choice. Reef Keeping isn't easy, If it were, There wouldn't be a challenge to it and every one would have great tanks but the truth is not every one excels at it, But I know with your commitment that you will. Happy Reefing