My Seahorse Cube And Babies

yveterinarian

Super Active Member
I doubt you are missing anything Steve, they probably just aren't big enough to hear them well enough yet. Just wait 'til they are bigger, you'll hear it for sure! Be careful with the pods because there isn't enough nutrition in them for long term. They are great for snacks but the PE have better overall nutrition for them.
When you decide if you are getting another you know where to find me! LOL

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
I doubt you are missing anything Steve, they probably just aren't big enough to hear them well enough yet. Just wait 'til they are bigger, you'll hear it for sure! Be careful with the pods because there isn't enough nutrition in them for long term. They are great for snacks but the PE have better overall nutrition for them.
When you decide if you are getting another you know where to find me! LOL

that i do lol and think they will have no choice but to slow down on pods they have decimated the population faster than a mandarin goby lol they are starting to use the feeding tray more and more each day thankfully and still throw a little in after work.... all i know is they are eating about 2 pe mysis cubes a day and a 1/2 cube extra at night still not finding alot of excess mysis floating around so must be getting eaten 3 was too much last time i tried

yveterinarian

Super Active Member
That volume of PE Mysis sounds about right for their size. Yes, they would decimate the population of pods very quickly. I have had others tell me that. They tend to eat them so fast that they will actually poop out undigested pods and get little nutrition from them. Seahorses don't have a stomach the way other fish do and if they eat too quickly they just push out the food without the time to digest it properly. The amount of PE you are feeding sounds perfect. The lack of stomach is also why they need twice a day feeds.

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
yay glad im on the right track thank god for seahorses.org and of course all your direct info lol its nice to have someone with lots of experience when some the things i read can get pretty confusing

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
got some new pics from the morning they look so neat when pale with thin stripes and spots but after lights on dont take them long to darken again 20140921_132151.jpg20140921_132203.jpg20140921_132227.jpg

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
seems they are growing nicely they are big enough now that they cant fit through the chain anymore and are about 3" long with their tails curled.... the one (chubby one) has a nice thin almost tiger stripe going on for a pattern lately looks really good the other cant make up its mind and seems to change by the hour will get some pics once i remove some from my phone

yveterinarian

Super Active Member
Sounds like they are doing great Steve. Now that they are too big to fit through the chain keep an eye on them because they could get themselves stuck trying to get through. It is amazing how often these guys get themselves stuck and can't get out. I've seen numerous posts where seahorses have gotten themselves into quite tricky situations and needed help to get back out again.
One of the other names for the H. Erectus is the Lined Seahorse and they are sometimes also called the Spotted Seahorse so the stripes are very common along with lots of spots they usually get around their heads. The other one will most likely get them as well.

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
ya i had just the tray originally until one started lounging in it like a lazyboy munching away so i clipped on a link... got me a big ol 1lb pack of hikari mysis today as well and they dont seem to mind the change one bit in fact they swam right over and loved every bite