My Seahorse Cube And Babies

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
What do you plan on doing with all of those babies ?
the tanks will be for the baby seahorses.... once big enough and eating full mysis ill give a frag tank limited price then kijiji and fish stores... just gotta stay away from yvettes places she is my teacher after all and a wonderful one at that

they will look wonderful in that set up..a I have to think that once you get it set up it should make your work load a bit easier..

Yes will be great. Just gotta figure out how i want to rig them so its easy to clean and wont suck out the babies

Last edited:

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
The 3 survivors from the first batch are getting patterns :) they are almost an inch long. All the new ones are a half inch now and only 2 more deaths.... i think i under fed the first batch so once i think its enough i put a bit more and wiithin an hour all brine are gone :) is a pain with 4 feedings a day to ensure they van always eat. I feed every morning then my wife helps with an afternoon feeding then me again after work and a final before bed. Its alot of work but so neat to see these guys grow from birth. At least all the cleaning and raising brine is rewarding in the end.

Sewerat

Super Active Member
I took a Pcv floor drain screen and glued it to a reducing coupler that threads into the bulkhead on the back of my tank to keep the fish from making a waterslide outta the piping. Maybe have a pump in bottom tank and pump to top tank and drain to next down then to bottom again. Could be regulated by the pump that way to keep flow to minimal. And could still have an air stone in each tank for more I tank current

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
Congrats on the new tanks. I was glad to see you were going to get them as it is a perfect setup for the fry as they get bigger. Isn't it cool seeing the markings begin to show up?
yes it is yesterday they were prety well all black but now looking good. i noticed one was orange for a whole week as well

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
I took a Pcv floor drain screen and glued it to a reducing coupler that threads into the bulkhead on the back of my tank to keep the fish from making a waterslide outta the piping. Maybe have a pump in bottom tank and pump to top tank and drain to next down then to bottom again. Could be regulated by the pump that way to keep flow to minimal. And could still have an air stone in each tank for more I tank current

Lol these guys were literally the size of hikari mysis but skinnier. Still pondering ideas i might split the 15gal into 3 sections for the fry and use those for the more mature ones. Still so much to decide on i hate changing things later on

yveterinarian

Super Active Member
I got some fabric that was a fine weave - like thin curtain material. I made a cover to go over the overflow so that they couldn't go down it when they were very little. I made several covers so that I could easily remove one for cleaning and put another in it's place. It clogs quickly. Later I got some fabric netting and used that to go over the overflow. After that I switched to plastic canvas. It is definitely a challenge and even with those precautions I ended up with a couple of intrepid ones that took a ride down to the sump into the bioballs and filter floss and somehow managed to make their way through all of it into the open water of the sump. I found them quite happily munching away on the brine that had gotten into the sump. I think they were a little upset that I found them and put them back into the other tank with all that competition for food! :)

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
lmao :) mine keep clustering in the three slow water spots. as soon as i put in my brine they go from everywhere to groups on either side and a group in the middle its like they are trained. guess i know where to drop the mysis in a short time

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
That's a lot of horsepower, I hope you can pony up the cash to support them all. Looks like you're not horsing around with the new setup. Don't let anyone say anything Nay ga tive
ive got broad shoulders so let them say away lmao its not that expensive to raise them just frickin time consuming i also buy mysis by the 1 lb flat.

after this batch im taking a break for a bit work has been ridiculously busy lately which doesnt help

yveterinarian

Super Active Member
Isn't it wonderful to be able to raise these little guys and to also show everyone that with the right conditions seahorses aren't difficult at all. So much has been found out about their care in the last few years that they are truly not as scary to keep as people thought. The True Captive Bred ones are wonderfully hardy. Little did I know that when I started I would be so successful and you are doing just as well Steve. The seahorse hobby has come a long way. Kudos :)

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
Isn't it wonderful to be able to raise these little guys and to also show everyone that with the right conditions seahorses aren't difficult at all. So much has been found out about their care in the last few years that they are truly not as scary to keep as people thought. The True Captive Bred ones are wonderfully hardy. Little did I know that when I started I would be so successful and you are doing just as well Steve. The seahorse hobby has come a long way. Kudos :)

it has indeed and were pioneering the way for everyone else lol pretty soon we will need a seahorse section on tft :D

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
SUCCESS!!!! finally the 3 from the first batch are eating chopped mysis now and are about an inch long :) all the ones from the second batch are doing amazing and i still have 90% alive which is a heck of alot

yveterinarian

Super Active Member
Wonderful news Steve! Congratulations!!
smiley-happy0961_zpsdf9ac12b.gif

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
Wonderful news Steve! Congratulations!!
smiley-happy0961_zpsdf9ac12b.gif

to be honest i hope a few more die lol at this rate im going to have around 100 seahorses which is ridiculous. i guess im gonna have to level the stand and start filling the 30 gals before too long.

On a side note you need any babies yvette hopefully mine keep away from each other for a bit lol im gonna be swarming in sh fry soon lmao :)

yveterinarian

Super Active Member
to be honest i hope a few more die lol at this rate im going to have around 100 seahorses which is ridiculous. i guess im gonna have to level the stand and start filling the 30 gals before too long.

On a side note you need any babies yvette hopefully mine keep away from each other for a bit lol im gonna be swarming in sh fry soon lmao :)
I'm still swarming in mine. I think have a few going next week but it is slow. My tanks have been severely overcrowded for a while now but they are all doing well, thank goodness. After these ones go I'll be taking a break from breeding them I think. I'll just sit back and enjoy them. I now have 17 in my DT with room for one more and way too many in the fry system, LOL.

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
well im now at around 65-75 seahorse fry and havnt had a loss for a while. theres one or two on the skinnier side so i expect them to go before too long but all the rest are fat and active.

the three survivors from the first batch are getting huge fast they are 1" stretched out and the biggest is almost 1.25" stretched out. then again that one has been eating chopped mysis here and there. thank god for army surplus selling real scalpels it is alot easier cutting mysis and clam with that than a crappy ezacto knife and probably saved a few fingers as well