Aio Nano Reefs

David Caplan

Website Affiliate
My two main tanks are Innovative Marine Fusion 10 + 20 gallons, un-sumped. I really love the look of the tanks and they are especially suitable for an apartment. While originally I felt this really limited what I could do with the filtration and thus limiting what I could keep, I have heavily modified both tanks to accomplish my goals. I am able to keep a wide variety of fish and any type of coral, and my filtration has been modified so that my tank maintenance is very minimal at this point. Before the modifications the tank required far too much maintenance, and I felt the filtration was inadequate even at a very low bio-load. I also started culturing my own live food in the hopes of reducing feeding produced food that contributes to tank pollution.

The Fusion 20 is my main tank. The live rock is almost totally covered with a wide variety of corals, and the sand is getting full of them. My livestock include a pair of Mandarins, a Wyoming White Clownfish, a Griessingeri Goby and a new addition of an extremely juvenile Cherub Angelfish. There are currently 5 Anemones in the tank.

Equipment:
Apex Jr Controller
InTank Media Basket - Filter floss, poly-pad, Chemipure Blue
InTank Media Basket 2 - Cheato-filled refugium
Refugium light - 8w 72000k LED
50w Eheim Jager Heater
IM Reactor - Carbon
IM Desktop Ghost Skimmer
Maxi-Jet 1200 Return pump
2 IM Spinstream
Vortech MP10
Ecotech XR15 Pro
ATO

The Fusion 10 has become a frag tank. It currently has no rock in the entire system, only a 2" deep sandbed. It has a few Gressingeri Gobies and a Spotted Mandarin in it.

Equipment:
Apex EB4
IM Media Basket - Filter floss, poly-pad, Chemipure Blue
InTank Refugium Basket 2 - Cheato-filled refugium - carbon
Refugium light - 8w 72000k LED
Koralia 240 Pump
IM Spinstream
Vortech MP10
PAR38 Full Spectrum LED

I am learning photography and have learned to take coral shots, but I still have some work to do on a full tank shot, so I will get those up shortly.

My 3rd tank is not a reef tank, but it used to be. It is currently being used to grow macro-algae and is kept without fish or coral to allow all kinds of zooplankton to reproduce freely. There are amphipods 1/4 inch long on the glass, as well as a ton of copepods and rotifers. I customized it to be almost entirely maintenance free, and can be easily used as a reef tank. The tank is extremely simple, and runs itself as the low-flow refugium feeds the tank and the low bioload ensures that it is virtually maintenance free.

Fluval Edge 6 gallon
Hood lights converted to Ultrabrite LED 50/50 white/actinic
Filtration: 0.6 gallon custom HOB filter/refugium (made with Marina breeding box). Divided into two compartments, the first 1/3 is mechanical/chemical filtration with filter floss, polypad and chemipure, the other 2/3 is a chaeto-filled refugium. The hood has been modified to cover the filtration. The filter is fed by a small submersible sponge filter.

Last edited:

David Caplan

Website Affiliate
Thanks guys! I will try to take some full tank shots tonight, probably not nearly as cool looking :). The bigger anemone pictured up top was splitting while I was photographing it, as soon as it split my flash scared my new Clownfish into one of the anemone halves. Its amazing how after the split and under my lighting the colour changed so much.

David Caplan

Website Affiliate
I use both the Canon 100mm macro and the Sigma 150mm macro. I have to use quite a setup to keep things stable, looks like I am firing a very large gun when I am shooting with the Sigma :). I started off with the 100mm, and while it is probably a better all-around lens, it doesn't really hold a candle to the higher focal point macros for aquarium shooting. I can go macro all the way to the back of my tank with the Sigma, and only 1/2-3/4 with the Canon. This becomes especially relevant when using extension tubes.

I like that they are being recognized as macro shots. I am pretty sure most of the people I show these to think I take a picture and crop out a small piece to get the "macro" effect. I usually don't crop them at all, or if I do, it will be a small portion of the border. The Radion allows me so much control over my lighting that shooting with extension tubes is not a problem, so my shots are all 1:1 or greater magnification.

Last edited:

David Caplan

Website Affiliate
Updated the first post with some info on a self-sufficient desktop tank I've been running for a while now. While the tank was a great house for a Mandarin and really fattened him up, I decided to remove him to reduce the bioload and increase the zooplankton population amongst the macro algae I grow for my refugiums.

Just got some new anemones in my tanks, I am in love with the color. I tried to take as true color a picture as I could with just the dark night-lights. I think if my body was better I would have been able to bump the ISO higher and gotten a better shot.

No idea what this chalice is called, but it sure does have some pretty colors.

Last edited:

David Caplan

Website Affiliate
Was having so much fun with the macro lenses that I decided to go all out. Sold the majority of my gear and grabbed a Canon MP-E 65mm Macro. I feel like it will take a while to get the hang of, but it really captures some amazing things.

yveterinarian

Super Active Member
smiley-happy0961_zpsdf9ac12b.gif
Fabulous pictures!

David Caplan

Website Affiliate
Thanks!

Can anyone ID the green coral where a polyp looks like it is eating? I can't see it at all with the naked eye, and its a hitchhiker from my live rock.

The tank that I have left fish-less and have been feeding phytoplankton to is now booming with zooplankton. The tank hasn't been touched, and the glass hasn't been scraped in over 2 months, so they are all over it. I am going to try to take some shots of the glass and identify the copepods/amphipods/rotifers at high magnification. I managed to get one shot already. Please correct me if someone thinks I identify something incorrectly, i am sure its going to prove quite difficult.

The subject I think is a gammaridean amphipod, and there is a juvenile tisbe copepod on the top right. This is shot at 8x magnification.