They are finally Here!

yveterinarian

Super Active Member
Thank you all.  I was going to go in later when the fry were nearing time to sell to see if Sealife Central would be interested in buying some.  Thank you for mentioning me.  The babies will be ready to sell in about 9 - 10 weeks and I'm hoping that they will continue to thrive as they are now and the next 10 weeks will run smoothly.  So far, this has been an absolutely amazing experience and I'm hoping I can repeat it soon.

Thankfully, my little male is taking a break right now and doesn't look pregnant at the moment. I'm glad that he didn't get pregnant again so quickly because they tend to slow down their eating when they are pregnant so it will give him time to fatten up again before he tries again.  :)  Maybe that will give time for the other two males to have a batch of babies.  They are all so young that, with luck, they should have many more broods of babies.

yveterinarian

Super Active Member
I was playing around with the camera today and thought I'd post a couple more pictures here  :)

June-8-2014-8-lightened_zps53388b71.jpg

June-8-2014-7-lightened_zpsc1967055.jpg

The adult colors really show up in these pictures and they are developing such beautiful crowns!

heath

Distinguished Member
I've been watching you and their process in silence from the beginning. This has been an incredible journey, I love your dedication to they little guys.
I agree with Sewerat, they would be awesome to see in person..

yveterinarian

Super Active Member
heath said:
I've been watching you and their process in silence from the beginning. This has been an incredible journey, I love your dedication to they little guys.
I agree with Sewerat, they would be awesome to see in person..

Thank you for following along. My response to Sewerat applies to anyone interested in seeing the babies live. Shoot me a pm and we can set something up. I would love to show them to people. :) Weekends are the best for me.

Got your pm Sherry, pm'd back.

yveterinarian

Super Active Member
The older batch is 8 weeks old today! They are eating well so I thought I'd upload a video of them eating whole Hikari Mysis:

There are around 94 of them left now and I have separated the smallest of them out into their own tank so that the competition for food won't be as fierce and hopefully they will begin to grow as well. All five of the ten gallon tanks are now in use so once they get bigger and I have to split them all again I will be incorporating the 60 gallon cube into the system.

The younger batch are 5 weeks old and are eating shaved Mysis and live brine shrimp. By next week I will be weaning them off the live food so that my tank sitters don't need to deal with that.

Thanks Sherry for coming over today, it was great to see you. :)

Last edited:

sunnykita

Super Active Member
It was good to see you this morning Yvette, for those following this thread they are as adorable as they look in the video, even more so, and they aren't just pretty, as they get older they have individual personalities, not just your run of the mill tank inhabitant. These will be great family pets, I will look forward to having a tank for them someday.

The girls in the family would love these guys Torx ! just sayin !

Torx said:
That is so awesome. Eating frozen makes it that much more tempting. But twice a day can still be difficult sometimes

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk

sunnykita

Super Active Member
Yvette is east of Woodstock, I'm sure she'll pm you. Wait til you see them, simply adorable and a fabulous set up ! :D

Torx said:
Where are you located again? Wife is getting interested now that she saw the video :)

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Re: RE: They are finally Here!

sunnykita said:
Yvette is east of Woodstock, I'm sure she'll pm you. Wait til you see them, simply adorable and a fabulous set up ! :D

Torx said:
Where are you located again? Wife is getting interested now that she saw the video :)

I am excited. Finally got Jenn into them tganks to that video. Time to dig around for another set up :) and a drive to woodstock area :) I did PM her, thanks.

yveterinarian

Super Active Member
Torx said:
That is so awesome. Eating frozen makes it that much more tempting. But twice a day can still be difficult sometimes

Thanks for the pm Mark - pm'd back. When you go away if it's only for a day or two I know some who just have them fed once a day and they do fine. I have a couple who come to look after all my various critters each time I go away and they have for the last 4 years. They do a fantastic job and I'm very grateful to them.

Here are a few pictures I took yesterday:

June-12-2014-all-tanks-in_zpsef8a8060.jpg

These are the 5 tanks in use. The three on the left are the 8 week old fry and the two on the right are the 5 week old fry. I did a proper head count a few days ago when I separated them into the full five tanks. So far there are 92 of the eight week olds and 67 of the five week olds left now.

The eight week olds are eating whole Mysis exclusively now and by the time they are ready to go in 7-8 weeks will be eating whole PE Mysis.
The five week olds are eating shaved Mysis 4 times a day with live brine shrimp added to their morning feed.
Over this next week I will be cutting out the live food altogether and converting them to whole food.

Some photos of the eight week olds:

June-12-2014-5-same-age_zps099d1311.jpg

June-12-2014-4-the-stran_zps2712dbc2.jpg

June-12-2014-10-eight-we_zpsf125a656.jpg

Here is one of the Five week olds. Many more of them are hitching now and they are beginning to get their adult coloring.

June-12-2014-14-5-weeks-_zps659302d2.jpg

Some of the five week old fry are almost as big as the eight week old fry. It's a good thing I have these tanks labelled or I could see myself getting them mixed up!

yveterinarian

Super Active Member
sunnykita said:
great photos Yvette !

Torx said:
Great new photos, love the pics of your breeding set up.

Thanks :) I am planning to put up some sort of cross bar that can hold the lights but for now this works. The small LED lights are perfect for them as they aren't too bright and they give light to attract the brine shrimp and keep them away from the overflows.

Today I started the five week olds on a little bit of whole Hikari Mysis mixed with the shaved that I have been feeding them. It was fun watching them target the bigger pieces and they almost completely ignored the shaved pieces. I also noticed this morning that they aren't going after the live brine shrimp as much as they used to so I feel safe in finishing out what I have hatched and not hatching anymore. Over this next week I will begin converting them to whole Mysis to make it easier for my pet sitters when they come in a couple of weeks.

I tried some PE Mysis with my 8 week old fry tonight. They went for it but they weren't quite sure what to do with such large pieces. I guess they're not quite ready yet.

While feeding them tonight, I noticed some of my largest ones are starting to develop "cirri" which are the long hair-like filaments that some of them get. They are not very long yet but definitely developing. I'll try to get a picture of them if I can later.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
yveterinarian said:
While feeding them tonight, I noticed some of my largest ones are starting to develop "cirri" which are the long hair-like filaments that some of them get. They are not very long yet but definitely developing. I'll try to get a picture of them if I can later.

I saw that in pictures of them. Looks like the ugly kind of cool and I really liked them.