The Unicorn Is Available This Morning. Apex Trident

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
The unicorn is available this morning. At select locations, one being Big Als Kitchener. (below information is from their and other locations FB posts)

For all of you that don’t know about the trident it will test your alkalinity, calcium and magnesium as many times as you want throughout the day to help make your reef aquarium more stable and have a beautiful reef aquarium

The trident will be $849.99!! Reagents are unfortunately currently only available from Neptune directly for this release, $44 USD for two month supply at default testing intervals. Max two kits per purchase, $20 USD shipping to Canada via FedEx. ($146.88CAD plus duty for 4 months or approx $40/month at min testing of 4/2/2) Trident comes with a ~1 month supply starter reagent set.

Last edited:

Josh

Figures. I ordered a reefbot like 3 days ago after getting annoyed with trident release dates. I stand by my purchase, not being limited by their reagents and testing methods means more to me. More I read about reefbot the more i seemed to like it more.

Mark092

This will be a game changer for Apex owners. Unfortunate that it's not compatible with the older apex models (at least last time I checked), but still awesome to see it's release.

Matt1997

This will be a game changer for Apex owners. Unfortunate that it's not compatible with the older apex models (at least last time I checked), but still awesome to see it's release.
You are still correct. It will not be compatible with any older generation.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
This is only compatible with the new Apex and ApexEL model. You can purchase q stand alone unit as well to save some money

If you would like it to dose as well you will need to purchase 2 DOS units as well

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Figures. I ordered a reefbot like 3 days ago after getting annoyed with trident release dates. I stand by my purchase, not being limited by their reagents and testing methods means more to me. More I read about reefbot the more i seemed to like it more.

Where did you order the reefbot from? direct?

Kman

Super Active Member
Torx you should get two and I will 'Store' the second one on my tank. I mean at my house... ;p

Kman

Super Active Member
Nothing wrong with keeping up to date on new salt tech.

Josh

Where did you order the reefbot from? direct?

I was going to go direct but I messaged Ian and he was able to get me it. I try to at least buy local as often as I can. I am going to set mine up for ca/alk/po4/no3. Idea is to graph the values for the first 2-3 weeks and to tune in a nitrate/alk/calc dosing system. I cannot seem to keep nutrients in my tanks. After that i may switch up what it tests. What really sold me on it is that they are slowly releasing extra tests, i expect to see copper/iodine added in the next couple months.

Ill do up a review on it after i get everything settled.

Sue

I was going to go direct but I messaged Ian and he was able to get me it. I try to at least buy local as often as I can. I am going to set mine up for ca/alk/po4/no3. Idea is to graph the values for the first 2-3 weeks and to tune in a nitrate/alk/calc dosing system. I cannot seem to keep nutrients in my tanks. After that i may switch up what it tests. What really sold me on it is that they are slowly releasing extra tests, i expect to see copper/iodine added in the next couple months.

Ill do up a review on it after i get everything settled.
What dosing system do they recommend using with the Reefbot?

Josh

What dosing system do they recommend using with the Reefbot?

From what ive read its their next big project to incorporate a dosing system. I believe they are close on this. I will be just tuning in my existing dosers using graphed data. I just have this distrust of "let an automatic testing system dose your tank" it just feels completely nuts to me. That being said the apex is apparently setup for that and has multiple safety checks to prevent this, I would just rather set my own dosing values and have it email my phone if the values spike.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Just watching a follow up video on FB. Just found out that there is a minimum test level. Minimum it tests 4 alk, 2 mag and 2 cal per day. You can not lower it less then that. They do not get into details, but say they have their reasons. They may have their reasons, but why test cal and mag that many times of day? They boast that it is only $0.09 per test but that is $0.72US per day. The reagent is only available from Neptune Systems as mentioned above. It is going to be that way for the next few months as there is a concern with the expiration time frame and storage.

According to the stream and Trident FAQ, there is a 18-24 months you have some parts maintenance. Looking at approx. $100USD or you can ship to Neptune for more. They apparently do not know the actual service interval yet nor what will actually need to be replaced? They have had it for this long and apparently do not know how quickly it will wear? I am not trying to be negative, but with all the questions I am seeing and information that is still unanswered it is extremely disheartening to know people waited for years and some of the most important things and basis of the Trident are still unknown.

Ran out of time before work to watch the rest.

Josh

It has to do with the regeants. Reefbot had alot of issues at the start keeping the reagents stable. The red sea calcium for example only has a 1 week shelf life inside the unit before it starts to act up and give false reasons. I get the impression apex rushed this release because of the alternative methods coming out. Isnt GHL close to release as well?

Similar maintenance requirements on RB as well. You can set it to test as little as you want though because inside every bottle has a stirrer that keeps reagents mixed

Edit : ill stop derailing the thread. Ill post a review once I get it.