Sumps (cons)

gregsoreo

Have a canister and considering switching to sump. Since my aquarium is in the living room, I have a few questions..... Any odor concerns from a sump? What about noise? What size of sump is good for a 90gal.... have limited space in the cabinet. Any cons I might not have thought of?

All commentary appreciated.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Only odor would be if you do not maintain your skimmer. Noise is dependent on the equipment. I never really had any issues. I would go for a 40 breeder if you can fit it. Dimensions would help. Only cons associated is if you set it up incorrectly and it overflows.

conix67

There's no odor from sump.. as long as it's running as expected.

Return pump can make noise so choose wisely, so is the skimmer. Since there will be a door it shouldn't be loud enough to bother anyone.

Make sure there's enough room in the sump to accommodate extra water when the return pump stops. Just follow typical sump design there.

Also, the sump area will be exposed to moisture and salt creep, etc so it's better to keep all electronics in separate compartment.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
You simply can't run an attractive salt tank without a sump. There's simply too many things you need in there. I have 4 heaters, a skimmer, a return pump, all my probes, a biopellet reactor (and pump) and gfo and carbon canisters (also with their own pump), and quite a bit of liverock in my sump. If I could figure a way to get my wavemaker into the sump and still have it work, I'd do that too. Once you do it, you'll honestly never even consider going sumpless. I ran a fluval for the first 5 years of tank ownership, and a sump for the last 15. There's just no comparison. Make a good enclosure for it and you won't hear a thing. Skimmers can stink, but that's how you know it needs a good cleaning :)

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
You simply can't run an attractive salt tank without a sump. There's simply too many things you need in there. I have 4 heaters, a skimmer, a return pump, all my probes, a biopellet reactor (and pump) and gfo and carbon canisters (also with their own pump), and quite a bit of liverock in my sump. If I could figure a way to get my wavemaker into the sump and still have it work, I'd do that too. Once you do it, you'll honestly never even consider going sumpless. I ran a fluval for the first 5 years of tank ownership, and a sump for the last 15. There's just no comparison. Make a good enclosure for it and you won't hear a thing. Skimmers can stink, but that's how you know it needs a good cleaning :)

I ran sumps for 7 years.

Now I have a sump-less setup with as much stealth equipment possible. IMO sumps would make life more convenient, but sump-less is definitely more cost efficient and can be ascetically pleasing if done right.