Skimmer Overflow Shut-off

Boga

While ago I decided to make a contactless sensor for my protein skimmer, so I can connect it to Apex controller. The purpose of this was to shut down the skimmer in case the collection cup gets full. I did not like the floating switch idea, because I thought it would get too much junk on it and can get stuck.

Also, I wanted it fully separated from the Apex circuitry. In case of any electrical failure of any kind, the Apex would be protected. This can be done using a relay.

Connections are very simple, purchased a few parts from eBay, some parts I had available around.

- Non-contact water level sensor, eBay, ~ $12-15

- 5V Relay module, eBay, ~$6-7

- 5V power adaptor, free, from my box full of useless power adaptors.

- plastic box, free, from the big pile of collected junk.

- wires, etc.
Connection diagram.JPG

20201208_175350.jpg
20201208_175629.jpg
20201208_175755.jpg
20201208_175926.jpg
20201208_163356.jpg

Then I attached the little sensor bracket to my skimmer cup, connected the output to Input Sw4 in Apex and programmed the Skimmer Outlet as follows:

---------------

Fallback OFF

Set ON

Defer 005:00 Then ON

If Sw4 CLOSED Then OFF

When Off > 001:05 Then OFF

--------------

Obviously, other programming sequences can be done.

Here it is at work with the skimmer set intentionally to overflow:

Good luck with a simple DYI project!

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Very cool indeed. I love DIY. Nice use of an old, what appears to be, a Jebao controller case. Is that coaxial cable for the Apex connection? I assume this connects to the Apex BOB and the power supply is connected to the EB832 (or EB8) and the signal cuts the power to the outlet? This could be an interesting project to do without an Apex. I assume you could connect a relay to the COM and CK and still interrupt the power to the 5v?

Boga

You got it right Torx. That is an old Jebao controller case. The coax in my picture goes to the Apex BOB. The power supply goes into a separate outlet, but overall it cuts the skimmer power through the Apex controller. Indeed it can be used without an Apex, stand alone, considering the relay can support sufficient voltage and amperage.