Royal Gramma Has A White Patch On Back

Nonuser

Distinguished Member
The blue legged hermits are extremely active and I wouldn't recommend them or buy them again. But I don't think they're the problem.
I think the blame is mine. I have been the typical noob, I've broken the first rule of the hobby and moved too quickly.

Adding too many fish, corals, media and equipment changes. Putting my hands into the tank way to much and fiddling around.

Either the stress I caused or maybe introducing a parasite.

I had one fish jump Midas blenny, the Royal grammas white patch and the starting Molly and not remaining victim looks like he has marine velvet. The top of the head between the eyes looks like a white film.

I've finally decided to slow down. No more fish for a while maybe a month or more. I need to get things under control, if there is a parasite problem then I want it to run its cycle.

Good news is I'm starting to see coralline algae starting on rocks and the addition of a ghost skimmer and some Marinepure and consistent water changes I believe everything will settle down nicely.

Kman

Super Active Member
The blue legged hermits are extremely active and I wouldn't recommend them or buy them again. But I don't think they're the problem.
I think the blame is mine. I have been the typical noob, I've broken the first rule of the hobby and moved too quickly.

Adding too many fish, corals, media and equipment changes. Putting my hands into the tank way to much and fiddling around.

Either the stress I caused or maybe introducing a parasite.

I had one fish jump Midas blenny, the Royal grammas white patch and the starting Molly and not remaining victim looks like he has marine velvet. The top of the head between the eyes looks like a white film.

I've finally decided to slow down. No more fish for a while maybe a month or more. I need to get things under control, if there is a parasite problem then I want it to run its cycle.

Good news is I'm starting to see coralline algae starting on rocks and the addition of a ghost skimmer and some Marinepure and consistent water changes I believe everything will settle down nicely.

Fast and saltwater don't mix. One of the most important things to learn is patience and not to tinker unnecessarily. If you can master patience and not to tinker your tank will reward you with growth and vibrant life. Flip side if you aren't patience and go fast and tinker to much, it will slap you with death and disease.

I understand the want to have a full tank after all that is why people get into the hobby.

Last edited:

heath

Distinguished Member
don't beat yourself up, I think we or most of us are guilty of moving too fast. Good thing is we only do it once cause it does bite us in the butt..

Kman

Super Active Member
I think we all break the to fast rule at one time or another. Then we learn from it hopefully.

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
just remember most nice looking tanks you see more than likely took 2-5 years to get to the way they are now and the ones with massive colonies alot longer. just take your time setup a good maintenance routine to match your schedule and nothing is impossible. focus more time observing and recording results than what to buy next i find it helps ease the urge lol