Rodi Setup On Well Water

scottbennett86

The next step for me seams to be to get making my own Rodi water.

I know I have nitrate in my water (approximately 5 ppm). My water is somewhat hard both in kh and gh
pretty certain that I have silicates (my freshwater tanks always have some diatom growth) and suspect some phosphate. I occasionally need to get my well shocked to deal with bacteria. I have space to setup whatever I want in the basement and am not to worried about wasting water as well water is cheap.

Will bacteria hurt the unit? /is there a need or a way to sanitize the water first?

What kind of unit should I get?

Someone recommended using an ro unit, bubbling air in it for a day to remove co2 then sending it through a di resin to prevent carbonic acid from depleting the di resin. I have no idea if he was blowing smoke but if I test my tap water for ph once immediately and once again in a few hours the pH does go up. So it makes some sense to me. Is he right?

Any help would be appreciated. Just would like to know if I am overthinking this.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

zoomster

I am on a cistern water supply myself.
IMO - I think that you are overthinking it a bit but if you have the occasional bacterial bloom in your water, I personally would strongly recommend a whole house UV sterilizer both for you and your RO unit and tanks.
Just my opinion here bud.

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
if i can add on to your question, do you have a water softener? is it recommended to have your rodi before or after your softener?

scottbennett86

I am on a cistern water supply myself.
IMO - I think that you are overthinking it a bit but if you have the occasional bacterial bloom in your water, I personally would strongly recommend a whole house UV sterilizer both for you and your RO unit and tanks.
Just my opinion here bud.
Yeah, I am prone to overthinking and over complicating things. And I keep a water cooler around for drinking.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Pipes

Time to chip in here.

First. Bring a raw water sample to some one to get tested. There may be more at play here in your well. If you are around tomorrow, and can stop into Ingersoll for a few minutes, I can test it.

Second. Do you have any filtration equipment in the house. Iron filter/softener/what ever...

Depending on your water, and wells do change, you may need different equipment. As @zoomster said UV is your best defense. Other than chemical injection. But a UV light has to be protected as well in certain water types.

Pm me and we can set up a meeting.