Recharge di resin

Anthony

Hi all,
Does anyone recharge there di resin? Or just replace it?
Let me know everyone thoughts. Is it worth it, or not?

It seems like an easy process, as long as you are comfortable around some basic chemicals

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
I have been for years, saves me a ton of money
I recharge Cation, Anion and mixed bed. I use my brine shrimp hatcher to recharge mixed bed, I buy my lye at home hardware and my acid at the pool store.
Basic safety procedures are safety glasses, rubber gloves and always add acid to water, I fill my plastic laundry tub with cold water and put my lye mixing container filled with RODI water in the cold water when I add the lye to the RODI water as it gets really hot and could melt through a plastic container, I add the lye put on the lid and swish it around in the cold water to mix.
I use 350ml RODI and 100ml lye to regenerate 750ml DI resin (one cartridge)

Anthony

Thanks for the info, I've seen few old posts on how to do it, but nothing recently.

I'm a little confused on how you use your brine shrimp Hatcher for mix bed,?
Do you use it to separate the Cation and anion during the first step (I only use mix bed at the moment)

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
yes when you add the lye the anion floats and separates from the cation, i then drain the cation from the bottom of the hatchery and let the anion regenerate in the lye while i rinse the cation and regen it with acid, this is the hatchery i have
1662512918318.png

Anthony

How do you dispose of the lye and acid solutions once the processes is complete? Or can you reuse any of it?

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
If you mix them together they cancel each other out and pour them down the drain

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
I do 350ml RODI and 100ml lye for 750ml resin, the anion will float, then I drain out the cation and rinse it, I leave the anion in the lye for 1 hour.
I mix 180 ml acid to 180ml RODI and soak the cation for 1 hour, I stir the resins periodically.
remember to mix the water and lye in a container in a tub of cold water as it gets very hot.

Anthony

Perfect, thanks for the info, once I find all the hardware needed,, I will attempt it,
I've got about 4 canisters worth of used di saved,.

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
I put my recharged in ziplock bags , get all the air out and keep in the fridge