Quick Shots Of My 120

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
Crappy phone pics when I've been drinking ;)
d5cd604aeeffa48edee7ee80cc567b93.jpg

10fa60e404527b2e9026b0d36c36245b.jpg

Sony Xperia Z3

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca

Luke.

Distinguished Member
Eric for some reason I never seen your clams ? are they the same as the ones earlier in your build ?

Luke.

Distinguished Member
Dang :( what's so hard about them ? Just the swings in the water? Always wanted a clam but just know I'd end up losing it :(

Kman

Super Active Member
I have though about that but I am worried about parasites that could come with it. Not sure how they keep their systems.

Pipes

Sorry to bump in here, but as an aside to the clam discussion, Does any one use muscles, or other "bi-valves", in their tanks as living water filters, or is that a dangerous idea? Just saw a documentary of how muscle beds are helping clean up marine waterways...

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
Sorry to bump in here, but as an aside to the clam discussion, Does any one use muscles, or other "bi-valves", in their tanks as living water filters, or is that a dangerous idea? Just saw a documentary of how muscle beds are helping clean up marine waterways...
Both @Kman and I have toyed with that idea. But both of us never pulled the trigger as we're concerned about any potential parasites that may tag along. We realize they're food grade and should be safe. But we also cook them before we ingest.
It's a good idea in theory. Maybe if you quarantined them in a separate system, maybe. I'm also unsure of the temp requirements, if they will match our tanks or not.

Sony Xperia Z3

Kman

Super Active Member
I really wanted to try but you never know. I tried the snails you get at the store and the tank they were in infected all other snails with something and within a week all were dead. So I never tried that again or on my DT. In theory if you quarantined them for a few months and tried a weak parasite med it could work possibly if they didn't die from the meds. I myself would not test this on my DT but a smaller test system to make sure nothing unseen happens. A bank of clams would clean the crap out of the water though.

Pipes

Both @Kman and I have toyed with that idea. But both of us never pulled the trigger as we're concerned about any potential parasites that may tag along. We realize they're food grade and should be safe. But we also cook them before we ingest.
It's a good idea in theory. Maybe if you quarantined them in a separate system, maybe. I'm also unsure of the temp requirements, if they will match our tanks or not.

Sony Xperia Z3
I really wanted to try but you never know. I tried the snails you get at the store and the tank they were in infected all other snails with something and within a week all were dead. So I never tried that again or on my DT. In theory if you quarantined them for a few months and tried a weak parasite med it could work possibly if they didn't die from the meds. I myself would not test this on my DT but a smaller test system to make sure nothing unseen happens. A bank of clams would clean the crap out of the water though.
I think the theory is there, but like you said there is the threat of parasites. And as I think more on it, we aren't running costal PEI temps. That's a huge variation in temp. I've kayaked through a muscle bed in PEI, Interesting, but the water is a lot colder. I'm not sure how they would adapt. The babies are raised in a hatchery, then put on the lines by the "fishermen", but what are the breeding conditions like. That just leaves too many variables to experiment on your DT. Perhaps just too dangerous to follow up on. Mind you who ever could climatise them to an aquarium , could make a bunch of dough. Cleans your tank and then you eat them...