Prevention Meds On Quarantine Time

Canadianeh

Do you guys use meds as prevention during quarantine time for fish, corals, and inverts?

If yes, can you please list them what meds you use? Newbie here :)

Fish:
Corals:
Inverts:

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
So you use these meds regardless when they appear not sick, correct?
Yes...none of these have any negative side effects. Stronger and more harmful things like copper/cupramine and formalin are only for when there is active illness and even then I avoid them anymore as more modern alternatives usually get the job done.

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
Rob- do you use all three of those in turn, or at once or?
Im going to be buying some fish soon as well, and throw them in quartine with a dose of CP.
It worked wonders for me..

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
What's CP for and how you use it?
Chloroquine Phosphate

its basically a one and done med. dump the powder into the tank in the right amount and leave it.
You'll have to do some of your own research on it, some great 50+ page threads on reef central about it.
And then finding it is kinda hard.

its a strong algae-cide, so corals, ANY algae, inverts will all die. but it will not affect your biological filter/bacteria

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
Rob- do you use all three of those in turn, or at once or?
Im going to be buying some fish soon as well, and throw them in quartine with a dose of CP.
It worked wonders for me..
I prefer using Prazi and Metro first to de-worm and prevent secondary infections. These are sold as a blend in API general cure if you don't have access to bulk chems.
Then I treat with Chloroquine Phosphate to eliminate all protozoa like Ich, velvet, Brook.....

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
Chloroquine Phosphate

its basically a one and done med. dump the powder into the tank in the right amount and leave it.
You'll have to do some of your own research on it, some great 50+ page threads on reef central about it.
And then finding it is kinda hard.

its a strong algae-cide, so corals, ANY algae, inverts will all die. but it will not affect your biological filter/bacteria
All inverts will die.....including Aiptasia while leaving the rock clean and safe to return to a reef after a few days with carbon as it is not persistent.

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
i will copy that if you dont mind :)
After all the hassle of getting my tank ich free, i dont care if i have to QT for 3 months, the fish going into my tank are going to be 100% disease free lol

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
i will copy that if you dont mind :)
After all the hassle of getting my tank ich free, i dont care if i have to QT for 3 months, the fish going into my tank are going to be 100% disease free lol
Those meds are all easy on even sensitive fish and by treating you cut required qt time down to a minimum. Also you avoid all the cases where in an observation only QT a fish can be carrying a low level disease but once they are in the stress of the main tank community it becomes visible.

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
Those meds are all easy on even sensitive fish and by treating you cut required qt time down to a minimum. Also you avoid all the cases where in an observation only QT a fish can be carrying a low level disease but once they are in the stress of the main tank community it becomes visible.

i have come across in my research that CP can be harmful in higher doses to fish in the wrasse family.
I did indeed lose my lubox wrasse after dosing CP, BUT i never saw him eat before that either... so i cant contribute that solely to the CP

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
i have come across in my research that CP can be harmful in higher doses to fish in the wrasse family.
I did indeed lose my lubox wrasse after dosing CP, BUT i never saw him eat before that either... so i cant contribute that solely to the CP
I hadn't heard that. What sort of higher doses are you talking about?

I have treated numerous halichores and fairy wrasse with no issues so far but I use the minimal therapeutic dose since in QT I am not treating serious active diseases.

I have gone quite a bit higher treating actively sick fish when I needed to kill velvet which is very quickly lethal but that has been only tangs so far IME and they have always responded well.

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
Just did some reading on the wrasse issue and the only common element seems to be six line wrasses (which I have never treated).

Also read that all three of my preferred meds can be used at once as they are totally compatible so that will save a few more days. And honestly I don't do the full 30 days for CP treatment once again if I'm doing preventative QT treatment rather than an active disease.

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
Just did some reading on the wrasse issue and the only common element seems to be six line wrasses (which I have never treated).

Also read that all three of my preferred meds can be used at once as they are totally compatible so that will save a few more days. And honestly I don't do the full 30 days for CP treatment once again if I'm doing preventative QT treatment rather than an active disease.

exactly, if you cant see it, its only present in low levels, so the preemptive meds should eliminate low levels of the diseases fairly quickly.

Canadianeh

How long do you keep fish with a mix of those 3 meds in QT tank?
Also, do you add more meds if you do water change while in QT?

Canadianeh

Fish...Praziquantel, Metronidazole, Chloroquine Phosphate.
Corals....Bayer complete.
Which brand name for each meds that you use here?

Also, quick search on google suggests that CP is hard to get and you need to get it from a vet with prescription?? Where do you get yours?

Last edited:

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
Which brand name for each meds that you use here?

Also, quick search on google suggests that CP is hard to get and you need to get it from a vet with prescription?? Where do you get yours?

Prazi and Metro are both readily available as generics under those names. You can buy PraziPro as well packaged for aquarium use and as I said earlier API sells "General Cure" which is a blend of the two...

The safest and easiest way to use chloroquine now is NLS Ich shield powder which is actually a chloroquine derivative formulated for aquarium use...JL aquatics and Amazon and others probably carry that.

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
How long do you keep fish with a mix of those 3 meds in QT tank?
Also, do you add more meds if you do water change while in QT?
3 weeks for me...and the first two are fairly fast acting so I don't worry about topping up the dose as long as they go the first week without a water change. The CP does need to be replaced when you do a WC.