Popbloom lights

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
My old AI sol lights were on the fritz, take em apart I should get 2 fully working. In the meantime I got a new light. Too broke to afford something fancy so wanted black box route but wanted ramp.

Found the popbloom shannon40 that ramps up and down and has somewhat decent control. Got it hooked up and running this morning and I am quite impressed.

Firstly I don't have 110v hanging over my tank like most since it has a power block similar to my sols. 1 channel is cool white and green led, 2 channel is blue, 3 channel is royal and 4th channel is warm white and red led. I actually love the look in tank and can be more blue, purple or white to your liking and they are strong. Only running 10%, 50%, 40%, 20% till I get a par meter to check. Also font want to cook my coral. Unlike others this has a decent heatsink and not a license plate and for $200 I'm way happier then what si prime gives and wayyyyy better coverage and spread too. Very happy with this purchase. Time will tell for growth but they are more then strong enough. Hopefully this saves someone dumping thousands, I'll never go back long as these last a few years.
20240122_093137.jpg20240122_093144.jpg

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
I like the Popbloom stuff, I have a pair and they keep the coral happy, but that said I'm sad that Viparspectra doesn't make reef lights anymore.
Ya I'm happy they aren't 110v plugged 8" above my tank with a daisy plug waiting to be splashed lol. I really like the colour output too, nice pop and the green and red led make my reds look red not purply. Am really impressed with the lack of discoball effect too but they are 16" off surface. Came with hanging kit and arm so cant complain. Once I borrow a par meter I will crank them up a bit but I imagine they are close to good. I have a spectrum anylizer that graphs the spectrum reading at different points but it does not tell par or pur intensity.

Although if I had a deeper tank I would probably get the touring version that has a better controller and a bit stronger but 2 of these would easily light a 36"x36" tank for sps dominant. My zoos are squatting and sol was at 15%w 65%rb 75%b so they definitely have par comparable to AI's. Fan is really quiet and unit is literally only 1" thick. I'll never blow $600 on a single light again if they last even 3 years.

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
Well just a word of warning to anyone getting popbloom lights, they are super strong!

Put it this way with same power percentage running as my AI I had to raise popbloom lights 10 inches higher to get the same par readout. My lights are 20 inches above surface at 75% and par 8" deep was 480 and sand bed 325 so dropped to 60% and par reading Was 240 on sand and 430 8 " deep.
On a side note acros are loving the spectrum. I got a frag I added and the spot I messed up pushing into epoxy has completely grown over and healed in a couple days. Very capable of growth and even noticeable growth on everything. All my acans and zoas are basically half shaded by rockwork because these lights are super strong. If I get 2 or 3 years out of these I'll never consider the overpriced name brands ever again, these shannon 40 pro lights are great!

My 2 new wild Aussies For some eye candy.

Attachments

• 20240127_101056.jpg
    20240127_101056.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 13
  • 20240127_101040.jpg
    20240127_101040.jpg
    909.8 KB · Views: 11