Photos from Canadian Parks

jroovers

Super Active Member
Thought I would share some photos from some amazing Canadian parks I've had the privilege of visiting in the past few months - Canada is the best!  :)

Algonquin Provincial Park

Algonquin Moose by UpOnTheRoof, on Flickr

Common Loon by UpOnTheRoof, on Flickr

Beaver with Snack by UpOnTheRoof, on Flickr

Galipo River Falls by UpOnTheRoof, on Flickr

Banff National Park

Mount Rundle Rainbow by UpOnTheRoof, on Flickr

Lake Louise Shoreline by UpOnTheRoof, on Flickr

Lake Louise Boathouse by UpOnTheRoof, on Flickr

Mom and Cubs by UpOnTheRoof, on Flickr

jroovers

Super Active Member
harleymike link said:
Beautiful pics. Great job.
Do you do this professionally.
:drool:

Thanks, I wish, I'm a rank amateur that got his first DSR two and a half years ago. Never sold a photo and don't care if I ever do, I just enjoy getting out there.

jroovers

Super Active Member
Thanks for the feedback... if you think these are good, you should see some of the photos on Flickr, there are some really incredible photographers out there.

Darryl, I don't know how the pro photographers do it, I imagine very few can make a go of it simply shooting nature and landscapes... my guess is that alot have other jobs or they shoot weddings and kids/families to generate most of their income.  I know a couple of the best bird photographers in Canada generate their income by leading tutorials on shooting, by guiding other photographers for a fee, and by doing "destination" photography workshops such as leading a group in Costa Rica for a week.

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
So you've looked into it.... haha

Ya i think digital photography has really changed the game.

Amazing shots and easy to forget you are actually experiencing these scenes in person. Glad to join you on a few of those.

jroovers

Super Active Member
Darryl_V link said:
So you've looked into it.... haha

Ya i think digital photography has really changed the game.

Amazing shots and easy to forget you are actually experiencing these scenes in person. Glad to join you on a few of those.

Haven't really looked into it lol other than I've only seen some of the websites of the most renowned photographers for birds, they advertise fairly heavily for things such as destination photo trips to costa rica and other exotic and domestic locations.  I've definitely given it some thought though as to how they would make a go of it.  I think digital photography has probably eroded the market for professional photographers in many respects... much easy to take a slew of photos and get good results.  One can easily shoot, check their exposure on their LED screen, make adjustments and then fire away... can't exactly do that in a darkroom.

Yes, the algonquin trip was pretty awesome... it really is a world class destination and sometimes it is easy to forget how many beautiful places there are not that far from home... remember to keep that weekend free for next year!

unibob link said:
My feedback is.... Post more. they are amazing.

Reef Hero link said:
Amazing photos!
+1  lets see more! :)

Here are a couple more from Banff/Jasper.

Lake Louise by UpOnTheRoof, on Flickr

Elk Cow by UpOnTheRoof, on Flickr

Patricia Lake Sunset by UpOnTheRoof, on Flickr

Mom and Cubs 2 by UpOnTheRoof, on Flickr

Jasper Grizzly by UpOnTheRoof, on Flickr

Clark's Nutcracker by UpOnTheRoof, on Flickr

reeffreak

Super Active Member
Been back to this page 3x amazing shots, I'm an outdoors guy so I can appreciate these pictures 100%. Again Great job.

Lets see some trout pics now, I know you have em

spyd

Super Active Member
Awesome! How close were you to that grizzly? if that were me, they would be a big blur and sideways as I ran away! Lol

If you ever did a class on white balancing, I would be in for sure!!  ;)

jroovers

Super Active Member
reeffreak link said:
Been back to this page 3x amazing shots, I'm an outdoors guy so I can appreciate these pictures 100%. Again Great job.

Lets see some trout pics now, I know you have em

I do have some, but not enough for my liking!  Usually I'm the guy landing the fish and then taking the picture for everyone else...

spyd link said:
Awesome! How close were you to that grizzly? if that were me, they would be a big blur and sideways as I ran away! Lol

If you ever did a class on white balancing, I would be in for sure!!  ;)

I was across the road from the Grizzly, but in hindsight I shouldn't have been so eager to jump out of the car and grab my camera and start walking down the road across from it, my excitement kind of got the better of me.  The speed with which it moved was incredible, now I understand why they say you can't outrun a bear.

In terms of WB, I shoot AWB with all my non tank shots, and only rarely due I change it in PP.  When shooting raw, you have great flexibility to do so though if you so choose.  For Canon DSLR users, someone just posted a really straightforward way of setting your custom WB.  For me, I just set to 10,000k colour specific WB, and adjust further in PP.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2319811