New Reefer

dan

Hey everybody,
Just wanted to say hello, I'm from the Kitchener area and have been doing extensive research on reef tanks. 4 months of reading and learning so far so I'll be setting up my new 90gal reef in the next month. Love the forums lots of good info!
Any reefers close by drop a line.
Dan

Nighthawk26

Welcome Dan. Lots of people in the KW area. I was over a year reading, and planning myself, so I totally get it. Have you already acquired all your equipment, or all still in process?

Post pics if you got em. We love pics here.

dan

I have not acquired any equipment as I'm not 100% yet on the setup. The tank is sitting in my basement. I was t sure which way to go but I think a softie/Lps tank might be where I'm starting. Looking at Mars Aqua leds not sure on the size yet. Focused a lot of time on the live rock/setup and finished look I want. Pukani is my choice of rock atm.
Thx for the welcome! I will post a build thread with pics once underway.
Dan

dan

Hi Eric, saw the aquariums by design on your post. Love that place been there a couple times. I didn't realize how close to home some of you are. Very excited to be a part of the forums.

dan

I have a 90gal tank and I'm looking at making it an Lps/softie tank. I've had lots of fw experience but now I'm looking to get into corals. I'll post a list of corals I'm looking to keep. Hopefully if the folks here spot something bad I can get a heads up. First time reeding and I'm already hooked.
Thx for the warm welcome!
Dan

zoomster

Hi Dan,
Welcome to the Frag tank!
Hope you enjoy the forum, benefits and banter to be had here. There are indeed lots of knowledgeable members here and you will find plenty of advice and help when you need it!
Once again, welcome!

dan

image.jpg
Wanted to thx for the welcome and here's a pic of my 90gal brackish water setup.
Currently holds 4 mollies 3 gobys and 3 archers.
This tank made me realize reefing is where I should be.

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
well thats defintely not worse news, thats great news haha
go for a 6ft, that way you can keep tangs for the better part of their lives

dan

Heh yea sarcasm on forums doesn't come across the same. :) she is starting to see the light in terms of corals and sw fish.
What kind of tang? Not a fan of the blue hippo but convicts look nice. Schooling fish I think not sure on wether I can keep it never looked since my tank size wasn't big enough. Yellow tang is on my list too for algae reasons. I'll check them out today get educated.

Keeping an eye on the classifieds, if by chance someone sees this and has info on a tank 125gal plz pm me.

Nighthawk26

Sorry to hear about your first world "problems" with your wife! :

My only advice Dan. Be patient. So exciting getting into things at the beginning and easy to want to jump the gun. Have a plan in your head of what you want to do, what you will need to execute it, and the budget.

For example with the tank. How are you planning on plumbing it? Durso, Herbie, Bean Animal? Where will the holes be drilled? Internal or external overflow? Last thing you want to do is buy a tank cause it looks like a great deal, only to find out it's tempered glass and you have to drill. Guess how you likely find out it's tempered?

Just one of many many things to consider.