New But Loving It

SamiiStarr

Hello everyone.

My boyfriend and I are very new to the hobby. We have always wanted a salt water tank. But couldn't afford the start up.

We were given 2 salt water tanks by family friends who had health issues that could no longer tank care of them. Both tanks were in rough shape. Their was a 20 gal and one was a 35 gal. We put all of the marine life into the 20 while we figured out a better set up cause the 35 was not safe anymore.

Now everyone is set up in a 55 gal set up.
- 55gal with stand
- dual t5 lighting. 1white 1 blue.
- 40 lbs of finer argonite
- at least 50 lbs of live rock which has been live between 11-4years
- 3 power heads
-1 seaclone protien skimmer

Marine life
- 2 clown fish (one from each tank)
- 1 fire hawkfish
- 1 long spined black urchin
- turbosnails, blue hermit crabs, and bumblebee snails

Really excited to join a site that has a lot of experience and doesn't mind helping us newbies with issues and questions :)
We've had tons and tons of fresh water tanks. But salt is a lot more confusing.

nathan

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
Welcome to the fragtank guys... lots of friendly helpful people here... couldn't find a better site. Where are you guys from

heath

Distinguished Member
welcome to the site, nothing to say as the others have said it all, ton of experience here and everyone is willing to lend a hand, don't be afraid to ask questions, the only stupid one is the one that you didn't ask..
oh, by the way we also like pictures...:)

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
There are a lot of great reefers in the Sarnia area. They can be quiet, but they are here and they have some amazing tanks and stuff for sale. Start saving up some cash. Welcome to the site. You will get lots of feedback from different people with different experiences. Hope you enjoy your stay.

SamiiStarr

I will post some more pictures when my lights come on.

Thanks! I will have to look up the mods for the skimmers!. The people I got the original tanks from did not know anything.. at all like couldn't even tell me how to properly care for them. But some how their marise life has made it.

Just getting into the hobby. Want to make sure I understand all of the basics before we go crazy and start adding fish or corals

Hello and welcome. Be prepared for a lot of reading and searching on the net as there is tons to learn and I'm not sure that anybody is really ever done learning. LOL

I just started last August as I was given a 46 gal. myself. I've recently upgraded the powerheads and lighting and the tank is finally starting to look stable. I also recently picked up a used 29 gal. biocube. There will be ups and downs and the tank(s) will go through stages but don't get discouraged. As many will tell you and I'm starting to realize it's all about patience and perseverance. I joined the forum in April of this year and there are a lot of very helpful and knowledgeable people here. There are many here that are willing to help you if they can and some great deals to be found on livestock and equipment when you're ready.

Good luck and I look forward to seeing some pics of your reef setup(s). :cool:

Dave.

SamiiStarr

14680900000301982844051.jpg
14680900588781628454174.jpg
1468090197075-668254377.jpg
14680900000301982844051.jpg
14680900588781628454174.jpg
1468090197075-668254377.jpg

Nice ... Looking Good! I noticed that some of your powerheads/pumps seem to have buildup on them. If it's something that doesn't scrape off easily you can take them out and soak them in vinegar for an hour or so. Then a quick scrub and everything should come off easily. Rinse them thoroughly in RO water and then back in the tank ... just like new!! ;)

Shooter000

HomeGrownFrags
Welcome to the site, hope you enjoy your stay:), I'm out in Alvinston, not to far away from you guys, remember if you have any questions about ANYTHING!!, don't be shy, lots of people here to help, get your basics down, like: water quality, light, flow, salinity, water changes, what your feeding when your feeding, tank maintenance, make a routine of things, remember you want stability!!, stable stable stable, and take your time, always take your time!!! :)

nathan

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
E
There are a lot of great reefers in the Sarnia area. They can be quiet, but they are here and they have some amazing tanks and stuff for sale. Start saving up some cash. Welcome to the site. You will get lots of feedback from different people with different experiences. Hope you enjoy your stay.
Lol...

SamiiStarr

Thanks the smaller clown is 11 years old and the bigger is 4 years old. The hawk is 11. I think they've been put through so much that they can withstand anything. We put them in the 55 gal after we got it set up. (Which I have recently learned was a nono). I would put them back in the 20 gal. But I got rid of it. Everyone seems to be so much happier in the tank. I've had an ammonia and nitrate/nitrite spike. And have added prime for that. My urchin had started to loose his quills . I was told that the prime will help him. So hopefully he makes it. I have a lot of questions and likely will need everyone's help. But trying to handle one thing at a time. Right now is making sure he's ok and will pull through