Live Phyto, Where To Source?

Tim A

Hi,

Just looking to see if anyone knows if you can get Live phytoplankton to start my own culture. Would also need F2 fertilizer. I can find it in the US, but having some trouble in canada, unless i am not looking in the right places.

Thanks

Luke.

Distinguished Member
I know this isn’t much helpful due to your location , but living aquarium in Cambridge has a great Live Phyto culture , I pick some up every once in a while a normal size water bottle is 5 bucks and it’s really nice and green .

Tim A

I know this isn’t much helpful due to your location , but living aquarium in Cambridge has a great Live Phyto culture , I pick some up every once in a while a normal size water bottle is 5 bucks and it’s really nice and green .
Do they sell the food for the phyto as well?

Luke.

Distinguished Member
Good question , I’m not sure , I mean if they didn’t I’m sure they could guild you where to get it , the 2 guy there rick and Steve are father and son , very knowledgeable you could always give em a call see what they got to ensure your trip would be worth it . Hope this helps :)

cica

How about using Miracle Grow for food? It has more phosphates then what the phyto needs but if you use gfo its ok. I've been culturing phyto for about 4-5 years with MG.

Seasquirt

You dont want to use Miracle grow fertilizer. Too much unwanted chemicals in it. I was making my own there in the summer. I had contacted a guy on gta aquaria, he supplied me with 2x2 litre bottles of phyto, really green and the fertilizer to make my own. I was all set up but the set up got cancelled. I still have everything. I store the phyto in the basement and the fertilizer in the refrigerator. Can't remember his handle but i could check it out or you could go to gta aquaria and find it. He sells it as well and gets the fertilizer in by bulk. It was pretty cheap.

I was gonna make it for my own use not to get rich. LOL