Leak

Zombiex

Have a leak on my return line. Have tried gluing it several times with no luck. Anyone have a fix or suggestion other then replumbing it?

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Duck tape lol
Pretty much where I was going only depending on location I would say pipe tape the electrical or shrink tape over it to compress.

If it is on top of a fitting, you can turn off the pump and let completely dry then add solvent and hope it drip down into the hole and seals, which it should.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Copperkills

Could try using a soldering iron to melt the plastic together where the leak is.. not sure if it gets hot enough to melt pvc tho.

Zombiex

I can take a pic tommorow. Its leaking at a union ball valve where the straight pipe goes into the uinion fitting. Very small drip but still a problem.

wtac

If its at the fitting, between the flanges IN the union, the EPDM seals may have shrunk and no longer get a good seal from compression.

There should a stamp of the mfg (Spears, ChemKor, etc) so try contacting the company if you can get replacement seals. Prior to installation, I like to coat them with silicone lubricant so they stick in the groove and helps prevent them from drying out and shrinking.

HTH

Zombiex

Where the pipe is glued into the unions where its leaking not the union its self

Attachments

• 20190926_215457.jpg
    20190926_215457.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 307

Winks

Website Affiliate
Do yourself a favor and cut it out and glue in some new pieces. No matter what you do with this, it will ALWAYS have the potential to leak down the road usually at the least convenient time. ( 10 minutes before you head away on holidays). Fix it and fix it properly. Just MHO

wtac

I agree with Winks, cut, replace and forget about it.

Though you had primed the fittings, I guess that the cut edge of the pipe wasn't chamfered (sanded/filed the sharp edge). Using ratchet/twist&turn pipe cutters makes a raised edge that will scrape away the softened PVC and solvent making a weak glue joint (solvent weld).

If the other side of the union is fine, just replace the leaky half of the union if you can match the mfg. If not, replace the entire union.

Michael Smith

I know JB Weld has a product, that's a two part epoxy. Almost like a putty. Dries quick and can be put on wet I believe, but you would have to shut the pump down long enough for it to dry.