Educational Installation Announcement! So Excited :)

reefdiver

Website Affiliate
Website
www.sustainablemarinecanada.ca
I am so excited to make this announcement!

As those of you who know me know, education and reef conservation are very important to me.

I have been thinking for a while now that i'd like to start some educational installations to help students learn about the Reefs and why they are important. As David Attenborough said, "No one will protect what they don't care about; and no one will care about what they have never experienced”

Therefore after some discussions and the approval process I am thrilled to say that S.M.C. will be donating an Innovative Marine Fusion 40 tank and some supplies to WF Herman Academy, in Windsor Ontario!

I chose this school because Windsor was a major player in helping me get my business up and going. Also, My wife and I are very inspired by the heart and soul that Kevin R. ( a teacher) puts into his students lives. We know that the same effort will be put into making this mini reef a valuable teaching tool and a calming space for the students.

I am reaching out to some of my suppliers to see what they would be willing to donate. Fritz Aquatics Wendy Tam has already jumped on board happily and will be sending some product!

We will post about the build as it goes along and hopefully we can get some of the students involved
1f642.png
:) I also hope to inspire other similar projects at other schools.

There may be certain things we need to come up with for the build. If anyone has equipment they are no longer using (thats in GOOD condition) or would like to donate to this project in some other way please shoot me a PM so I can make a list of whats available and choose what we are going to use.
Once again, thank you, and I hope you will enjoy following along on this adventure with the kids

wf herman.jpg

reefdiver

Website Affiliate
Website
www.sustainablemarinecanada.ca
FROM Kevin R. at WF Herman (also a fellow Reefer): Very kind of everyone involved pretty stunned still to be honest, little history about my job. I have worked at this school for 24 years, my work partner and I are child and youth workers we deal with behavioural and emotional needs of the students. I deal with students who have a wide range of needs anything you can imagine and don’t want to know about I deal with. Sometimes the best of words words can not comfort or fix things.

This tank that Ian Bell proposed will serve as a safe comfort zone for students who enter my office. I can see huge value when students come in with anxiety or panic attacks as a supplemental tool. We plan to get some of our students with developmental delays to assist with maintenance. We will also offer our biology class to Learn research and encourage them to be involved with the tank. The opportunities are endless for youth to engage with this. Everyone needs a reason to go to work or school, this may be just that for a student who may be searching for something