Diy 2 Part Dosing

coldmantis

Since I been adding more sps to my tank, I think it's time I look into 2 part dosing. Just yesterday I tested my Magnesium for the first time ever, my tank is about 3 years old and the mag is 1140(probably caused by my kalk dosing, I'm dosing 8 tablespoons for 15g ATO reservoir). My calcium and alk the last time I checked was 400/9.

I hoping someone here has tried DIY 2 part using Randy's recipe. I'm trying to source everything out currently.

Dowflake Xtra 20kg for $20.99

ARM & HAMMER Pure Baking Soda 2kg for $4.47 I didn't shop around for this I'm assuming this is the best price/weight

equate Epsom Salts 4kg for $8.76 also didn't shop around for this I'm assuming this is the best price/weight

magnesium chloride hexahydrate I don't know where to get this, any suggestions is appreciated (I prefer local hardware stores/walmart).

What are your thoughts? maybe I should just dose Magnesium and leave everything else alone? The only water change I do is about 7.5g once a month, this is what I been doing for 3 years. I prefer not to do 2 water changes a month. The tank is a 45g tall with a 30g long sump, I would guess the total system volume is about 65g. Nitrate, Nirite, Ammonia, Phospates is 0, PH is about 7.6-8

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
The Dow flakes you can get at tsc stores, the baking soda you can use any food grade stuff from the grocery store. You'll just need to bake off the moisture to make soda ash. Also the Epson salt you can use any unscented from any pharmacy. Usually used for baths.

I say give it a shot. I've been on DIY additives for a while.

S8

coldmantis

I would be interested why you are looking to dose. Your levels are near perfect as is...maybe look at upping mag on its own.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
My levels look good now but before I did my wc in the begining of the month my calcium was at 340-360. I have a nice sunset Monte it's on my frag rack so it's pretty close to the light, I had this frag for over 2 years I would say it has grown .25cm lol. My Lps and sps has stopped growing.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Jewel

When at the TSC store, is the Dowflake for the Calcium additive labelled as Dow flake, yes the Soda Ash should be baked before use, and the Mag Flake, can you tell me what it is labelled as, I've used Epsom salts in the past but it is pricey.

I used to dose the 3 part years ago and feel a need to start again, my Corals could certainly use a boost, there's something lacking for sure.

DIY is certainly the way to go, thank you very much for all of the input.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
When at the TSC store, is the Dowflake for the Calcium additive labelled as Dow flake, yes the Soda Ash should be baked before use, and the Mag Flake, can you tell me what it is labelled as, I've used Epsom salts in the past but it is pricey.

I used to dose the 3 part years ago and feel a need to start again, my Corals could certainly use a boost, there's something lacking for sure.

What does your test kits say? I love DIY, but do not dose based on a feeling. I am interested in post results and how it goes.

2g7jkb.jpg

Jewel

Testing later, my tank is actually set up at my girl friends place, pretty smart girl eh, we split everything, I keep telling her it's time for a bigger tank, 125, 6 footer, Tangs like to swim. It'll happen eventually.

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca

This is what tsc has
27acf082db50f2c4d35cf836700a66d2.jpg

S8

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
You're going to have a tough time finding it this time of year. They normally bury the skid of this product during warm months. As it's mainly used for de-icing.
Almost all tsc stores will carry it. But not all their employees know about it. Your best bet is to talk to the order pickers. They will know about it and where to find it in their store.

Good luck
Thank you Eric, I'm gonna have to get over there and check it out

S8

Jewel

I'll be looking for the calc additive as well, I was just gonna test my perameters to see if I need to dose at all, some of my Corals should be doing better.

My Candy canes are growing but not puffing up and a two headed frogspawn has grown to 4 heads but it's not opening up, although my hammer, torch,Zoas,brain and everything else is doing better. But I should test, right? Right