Cyano In Fuge?

reef keeper

Super Active Member
ive got a big refugium ( about 50 gallons or 60 gallons). My sump is set up so that water comes in on the right, goes through my filter socks, to my skimmer section ( skimmer external, pump internal) then it goes to the fuge, through a bubble trap, and to the return section.

I've got my Ecotech vortech L1 turned down to 40%. There's no real pump curve I can find, so I don't really know where I'm at for flow from the return pump. I'm guessing 800-1000 gph, which is 4-5x turnover per hour.

I rotate my chaeto every 3-4 days, and it's lit with a hydroponic T5 grow light.

The cyano is mostly on top of the chaeto.

My skimmer does return back to the middle of the refugium.

I'm considering moving my skimmer outflow to my filter socks to see if that helps.

Thoughts?

I'm also not running any carbon or gfo.

Don't know if that might help?

Nighthawk26

Dammit, I have cyano in my fuge TOO. I'm return to right, through socks then skimmer. A portion of the drain is sent to the fuge on the far left which then trickles over the wier to the middle section which is my return. Also much newer setup than yours. Using a fluval plant LED fixture. Only thing in there at the moment is about 2-3" sand and a big ball of Cheato. Someone help me too!

reeferkeeper420

Distinguished Member
I guess 8 months or 9 months? Change it? I don't have much experience with t5s. It's on around 16 hrs a day

Id replace them for sure, just to eliminate that as an option. Old bulbs can definately be a cause of cyano.

aren't T5's supposed to be replaced at the 6 month mark?
From what ive read, they say Sps tanks should be changed every 6 months. Softy and lps are fine stretching out to 8-9 months.

reef keeper

Super Active Member
I'll change my lighting on the fuge. It's only 14 hrs a day I believe.

Where should my skimmer overflow go? Into the socks?

The cyano is mostly on my chaeto

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
Cyano in your fuge is nothing to worry about.
Like Sewerat said. Low flow through the fuge is key.
I run about 400-500ppm through mine and only rum my fuge lights for 16hrs/day. I have cyano in my fuge but not a spec of it in my dt or frag tank. I also don't have any traces of no3 or po4 in my system and I'm not running any gfo, pellets or carbon dose.

Sony Xperia Z3

Kman

Super Active Member
Usually in the fuge cyano is caused by wrong spectrum of lights for the most part. Because it is the lowest point of the tank it gets more sediment and organics so it gives the cyano a little jump start when coupled with wrong spectrum. Add the fact that cyano can do nitrogen fixation from the air (Take nitrogen out of the air and use it as a fuel source) with the water level being so low it doesn't take much to trigger a bloom. I would look at replacing the lights. I myself just use the power twists clamp lights around the 6500 K range.

Bigfish

I've always had cyano in my fuge as well regardless of any of the lights I've tried using over it. Not a speck of it in my display though so I dont worry too much. I vacuum it out every so often but it always comes back.

Last edited:

bart84

I have it in my fuge and its setup the same way. I don't have a spek of it in my dt so I just leave it alone as I blame my Dino outbreak on removing it

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
like k man said get a 6500k light for your fuge...... its more red and white. cyano uses the blue wavelenghts. i never have a speck of it and use dollarama 6500k recessed spotlight bulbs that fit a regular socket (used in ceiling pot lights) they grow macro andmangroves like a beast if 14" off surface and cyano hates it. The bit of calurpa that had cyano from my seahorse fry tank was gone in a day after i put it downstairs in my fuge. If your moving the chaeto every three days it shouldnt trap enough detritus. I never had success with t5 over fuge

BigReefer

Super Active Member
Cyano in your fuge is nothing to worry about.
Like Sewerat said. Low flow through the fuge is key.
I run about 400-500ppm through mine and only rum my fuge lights for 16hrs/day. I have cyano in my fuge but not a spec of it in my dt or frag tank. I also don't have any traces of no3 or po4 in my system and I'm not running any gfo, pellets or carbon dose.

Sony Xperia Z3

Eric tell us please your dirty secrets to a prefect tank prams ???

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
Eric tell us please your dirty secrets to a prefect tank prams ???
I am far from perfect conditions. Wish I could get my no3 to register so I can get some decent PE during the day.

Honestly. It all boils down to knowing your system. Test your water to determine consumption rates and know how much food to feed your fish without causing no3 and po4 issues. Also stick to a regime for maintenance.

There are so many right ways to do things in this hobby. There is no "right" way. It's a matter of finding what works for your system and most importantly. Your schedule.

Sony Xperia Z3