Camera

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
I have a foscam that use to work but now it won't, been on the forum and it's hit and miss at best, I think the last apex update screwed it.
So I was wondering if anybody has one working now.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
FOSCAM is a pretty popular camera when it comes to Apex. I am not seeing anything on their pages lately about issues. Are you having trouble viewing it at home or away or both? Can you still access it from the camera software?

Sent from my SM-G988W using Tapatalk

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
Can't view it anywhere except through the old software which isn't supported anymore. I downloaded the new version, it finds the camera but won't view it as if it doesn't support that camera anymore.
It's a FI8910W

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Can't view it anywhere except through the old software which isn't supported anymore. I downloaded the new version, it finds the camera but won't view it as if it doesn't support that camera anymore.
It's a FI8910W

That is weird for sure. Foscam doesn't have a firmware update for that camera since 2015. If that is the update you are referring to, be sure to download the correct firmware update according to your prior firmware. There was 2 updates released about the same time and you have to install the correct one according to your previous firmware version.

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
I have the latest firmware for the camera, it's the viewer that has been updated.

Kman

Super Active Member
Not saltwater related but something to keep in mind when setting up networked cameras.

Most of the older cameras that might work with this don't have good security baked in and have a lot of vulnerabilities that are easily exploited. The traffic isn't encrypted or if it is it is weak and easily broken. It might not sound like anything to you and you might be thinking big deal this is for my tank. But weak encryption and lack of security controls baked in is an easy target for network attacks like man in the middle and other vulnerability exploits. Once they compromise your data stream or devices and get remote access to it they also get access to your network. They can upgrade the firmware on the camera with a RAT malware (Remote access trojan) to gain remote access and then sniff the packets on the network traffic and get user names and passwords. Once they have your user names and passwords they get access to everything on your network. Ranging from your computer, IoT smart devices, banking, social media accounts all the way down to your smart phone. As most people use weak passwords and reuse them, bad actors now use swarms of compromised zombie devices (Bot Net) that are controlled by a C&C (command and control) center and by the time you notice anything is up they have compromised most of your accounts if not all. Have fun getting them all back after that as you are already on their radar and most times they try again.

If you are setting up IoT devices, online cameras and even your apex you should be segregating this type of traffic onto its own separate network plane. I myself use two different wireless routers with two different IP ranges\subnets. One for IoT devices, online cameras, apex etc and the other for my personal stuff like laptops, smartphones and pc etc. That way if they do gain access to your smart device network they are segregated from your personal network as the info isn't passing on the same network plane. So your PII (personal identifiable information) is safer.

Or you can do the simple approach and set up your smart devices on the guest network that is built into most of the routers today. Just use strong passwords of at least 12 with 16 characters and never reuse passwords. So you really need to be careful what online devices you use and the security you use to protect them.

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
Thanks, good to know. I do have 2 routers, one is a Flashrouters vpn router i do all my important stuff on and a regular router with tomato flashed on it for everything else. I do have a book of passwords and no 2 the same and pretty strong but my wife might be a vulnerability, I will look into that.
I'm going to toss the old foscam but would like to get something that works on fusion.