Bubble Tip Anemone

Redcap33

I got a bubble tip anemone a couple of months ago. Everything was doing great, it moved around and found its home, and started to become huge. I did not feed it often only maybe once per week max and it got so big that it moved and split. The two bubble tips were doing great and then the "mother" anemone went back to its original spot... about 2 weeks later it got huge again and split again - giving me 3 anemone's. Is this normal???

The only thing now is that for about 2 weeks they did fine and now they are all barely showing tenticles and when they do they look more clear than red and really small compared to what they used to be??

What does this mean? I know maybe could be the water but it happened after the anemone split for the 2nd time in two weeks??? Any help?

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Repeat splitting isn't really normal from what I know. If it is cloning so rapidly, it could mean it is stressed and cloning to survive hoping that one of its offspring will find a good place. You have not posted a lot here, so we do not know much about your tank. What is the tank equipment (tank size, sump, skimmer, reactors, lighting...etc, all the juicy tidbits) and water parameters as well as the test kit used?

Luke.

Distinguished Member
I bought a beauty green BTA and im kinda having an issue aswell it was bigger then my hand and now it's lookingg rough i fed it 2-3 times a week and my water is fine not perfect ofcorse but I try to keep it consistant and he's under a kessil light , he hid for about 3 weeks and I thought he was splitting but came back out looking small and not as many tenticals and looked pale . I worry about him too , I see my clown fish don't help it to much ( the female likes to slap a little bit of sand and the male likes the suck on the tenticals lol) here's a pic of what it use to look like and the other half is in the ROck

If you were to look at it now it almost looks dead lol I love anemones but sometimes they can be a big pain in the ass my last one died in my old 20 gallon and I came home to it shredded up from my canister filter .

I don't even know what do o about mine im just letting him take his corse I know what a dying one looks like but mine isn't there yet I hope all goes well for you !

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 109

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
While we wait for more details...

Tank stability is key for anemones as well. In smaller tanks, even a water change could affect them. Temp, ph, swings can hurt them.

Any one use a de-chlorination like prime or other water treatment successfully with anemones?

Luke.

Distinguished Member
I always use prime in my water and my anemone has split about three times in the past year I've had it and is super healthy with two skunks living in it.

Feeding 2-3 times a week is way too much IMO. You can over feed them as well. I only feed mine once every two weeks at most

Sony Xperia Z3

Mysis or do you buy shrimp from store ? ( I use store bought now for bta and duncan)

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
I feed a mix of all frozen foods. I just don't feed my anemone nearly as much as you have.

I've read that anemones can have a hard time digesting large pieces of food quickly. That's why you wouldn't feed it more than about once every week or two.

Perhaps the over feeding is the root of most your problems.

Sony Xperia Z3

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
Back to the original post.

Torx hit it on the head. When anemones split that quickly and that often. It's usually a survival response. Something in the tank is causing it stress, so it continually splits to ensure its survival.

I would recommend looking at stability in the system along with water quality. If you rule both of those out. You may want to test for stray voltage if you have some older equipment.

More info on your system will help us narrow down a potential issue

Sony Xperia Z3

heath

Distinguished Member
What shrimp do you buy from the store? The pink shrimp ring type shrimp or the stuff on ice that is kinda gross looking?
you have been given a tons of great info here, personally I buy my frozen shrimp from Walmart in the freezer section..there is no smell at all, if it smells take it back..
My nems only get the particles/small pieces of Mysis or brine that float around when I feed my fish..

ALowe

I got a bubble tip anemone a couple of months ago. Everything was doing great, it moved around and found its home, and started to become huge. I did not feed it often only maybe once per week max and it got so big that it moved and split. The two bubble tips were doing great and then the "mother" anemone went back to its original spot... about 2 weeks later it got huge again and split again - giving me 3 anemone's. Is this normal???

The only thing now is that for about 2 weeks they did fine and now they are all barely showing tenticles and when they do they look more clear than red and really small compared to what they used to be??

What does this mean? I know maybe could be the water but it happened after the anemone split for the 2nd time in two weeks??? Any help?
i had this exact problem with my rbta. split 3 times in about 5 months and then when i moved, a couple weeks later they all shrivelled up for a few weeks. i also changed salt which was my reasoning for it but once everything acclimated again, they are all alive, colourful and bubbly :)

Luke.

Distinguished Member
What shrimp do you buy from the store? The pink shrimp ring type shrimp or the stuff on ice that is kinda gross looking?

I jut buy the fresh stuff on ice at sobeys and its in the shell I open it and use 6 little chunks 2 for the anemone and 5 for my duncan (1 each head) I got amazin. Colour and growth from the duncan , but my anemone is about a 2-10 for healthy I think I have a pic the 1st day I got it now it's about 3" round and no where to be found :( kinda sad they arnt cheap

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    854.1 KB · Views: 109

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
More Nems are killed by overfeeding than anything and the smaller the food particles the less energy intensive for them to digest.

Also think twice about putting fresh, never frozen seafood in your tank. They can be carrying live diseases and parasites from the ocean. Freeze them then use them and you're safe.

Food inspection only means they are not carrying anything that can harm a huge mammal (us)...not that they are safe for aquaria....

coral addicts

I would try less lights time, take a hour or 2 off lights being on. Anemones will always spit food out if it doesn't want food like all living things. When it looses colour it's being bleached from lights. Breaking up the water surface helps aswell.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

coral addicts

Yes feed it... I bought a rose bta and it was bleached and tentacles were like strings, it was size of a toonie, it was in a women's tank that had 6 T5's over a 40 gal breeder tank. All here anemones were bleached and stringy and she said it keeps splitting like crazy and they don't look how she bought the first one. Anyways I put it in my tank under par 38 led bulb and the color came back within days and the tentacles are smaller and thicker, I fed it a couple silver sides soaked with Zoe vitamin and it took them in right away, the next day it doubled in size.. I've been feeding it every 4 days roughly and it's doubled in size again.. the first time I fed it it ate 3 times than it didn't want anymore and let the food go.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

Kevin Tran

Super Active Member
This is my nem! Does it look hungry from not feeding? I know, why start right lol. So far it doesn't show any sign that need to be feed so I am gonna leave it as is. There more behind keeping a nem than just feeding, light and water perimeter should be in check
IMG_20150829_194507_edit.jpg

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
This is my nem! Does it look hungry from not feeding? I know, why start right lol. So far it doesn't show any sign that need to be feed so I am gonna leave it as is. There more behind keeping a nem than just feeding, light and water perimeter should be in check
View attachment 4456
Looks healthy to me Kevin.

I wouldn't worry too much about feeding it. It's obviously getting enough nutrients out of your system. But if you decide to feed it. Do a small pieces once every couple of weeks and you'll be more than fine.

Sony Xperia Z3