Basement Reno And In-wall 205g Reef

curiousphil

Super Active Member
I have decided to start a new thread for my new build. As I've mentioned in other threads, my 1.5 yr old 90 gallon reef tank recently developed a minor leak. Around the same time, we had a new on-demand hot water heater/boiler combo unit installed that replaced our existing hot water tank and the boiler for our radiant heat - with a tiny little unit that hangs on the wall... way cool! This freed up an 8 square foot area of our basement and rendered a dividing wall between our second kitchen and the hot water area obsolete.

Given these two recent developments, we've decided to renovate the basement. Get rid of the second kitchen, rip out the dividing wall, and turn the new 17 by 17 foot area into an entertainment room with an in-wall reef tank!

I've been spending the past few days doing up a project plan, creating a budget, and beginning to rearrange things in the basement. We have been using the downstairs kitchen as a storage area since we moved in last August. With Beth and I each bringing a whole house worth of stuff with us, we were overwhelmed and just decided to put a lot of it out of sight. Well, now the time has come where we need to deal with it... I'm going to order a dumpster this week for the demo materials and we are also going to do a big purge. Anything that doesn't get purged will be moved to a new storage area we just prepped today over on the other side of the basement. I had to haul out some ancient furniture that was left behind by the old Polish lady who sold us the house. Man old furniture is heavy!!

When the dumpster arrives this week, the purge will begin. Once the kitchen is empty it's demo time. One wall will be coming out completely, the other will be getting moved over to be against the side wall of the basement so that I can drywall over it. The tank wall will be built with BluWood and the green mold-resistant drywall typically used in bathrooms. That wall sits parallel to the back wall of the basement and creates a corridor that is approximately 6 feet wide. This will be the fish room.

Today I placed an order today for a custom 225 gallon tank: 72 x 30 x 24 inches, with a coast to coast overflow and a 4" external overflow box where I will install a beananimal drain. This tank will sit on top of a 3 foot high steel stand that I intend to seal with truck bed liner paint, which seems to have a good track record over on Reef Central for protecting steel stands against the damaging effects of saltwater. I've learned a lot with my 90 gallon and one of the things I've learned is to plan for the worst - expect leak at some point in the future!! I'm going to install a door to the fish room area that has a 4" lip up from the floor, and the floor of the fish room will be covered with a pond liner that goes up the wall 4 inches. So any leaks or spills should be contained within the liner. I'm going to be running a heavy duty dehumidifier in that area and am trying to convince the S.O. to let me ventilate that room straight to the outside of the house. She's worried that a random hole in the house will reduce value should we ever decide to sell (which is fair... the tank will likely come out if the house is sold).

While building my 90 gallon tank I always kept in mind that someday I wanted to have a larger tank, so wherever possible I bought oversized equipment. Large reactors, intense lighting, powerful pumps. I am hoping that most of the equipment I currently have will also be suitable for the new tank. One thing I know that I will unfortunately have to upgrade is my skimmer. At some point I want to install 400 watt halides but my 250s will do for now.

I think that's all I have to share for now... except for some "before" pictures.

The old hot water heater and boiler:
c115ced2b6c74e80fcce976c6cc76205.jpg

New combo unit:
930b19205a3ec7d00d7e006988b2b4cc.jpg

The newly empty area: (which the kitchen will expand into... the wall you see on the left is the one that will be moving)
108b69fc588385ae7ffb8f51ba7b7ccc.jpg

The much - too - full kitchen: (my S.O. is a bit of a couponing fiend and has amassed a large stash that we need to deal with) (tank will be installed in the wall with the window that has the vertical post in front of it)
faf23f59654572b0944cc267c340ad92.jpg

1a6417e1cc6941e6d8a2788820d8053c.jpg

4c401f1c293419062515a2e67ea9615e.jpg

curiousphil

Super Active Member
Thanks guys. Needless to say I'm very excited :D. It is going to be a ton of work, but I like keeping busy with big projects. And once this is done I'll have an awesome space to relax in as I work on the rest of our upstairs improvements!!

Bathroom reno and living room wainscoting are next in my sights, and I'm also currently in the process of pulling off every single piece of trim in the house and refinishing them. They used gorgeous oak in this house when it was built back in the 50s - you don't see trim like this anymore!

yveterinarian

Super Active Member
Sounds terrific! Absolutely love the idea of the pond liner. Planning ahead is always key to the success of any project and it sounds like your plan is a very good one. I can't wait to see the updates. Do you have a laundry room downstairs in the vicinity of this new fish room? The reason I'm asking is that maybe you could tie into the venting for the dryer and install a good vent fan in the fish room that is hooked up to a humidity sensor. Then you wouldn't have a random hole in the wall.

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
i use liquidized rubber for work it works great for roofs, shower stalls,stucco , flooring, and just about everything else you can think of best part is its voc free and excepted by canadian government as a food grade safe product can spray roll or brush on any cleanable surface and pond liner is just epdm rubber (same as we use for roofs) could prob save ya a few bucks there we allways have a couple 20ft x 100ft rolls around

curiousphil

Super Active Member
Sounds terrific! Absolutely love the idea of the pond liner. Planning ahead is always key to the success of any project and it sounds like your plan is a very good one. I can't wait to see the updates. Do you have a laundry room downstairs in the vicinity of this new fish room? The reason I'm asking is that maybe you could tie into the venting for the dryer and install a good vent fan in the fish room that is hooked up to a humidity sensor. Then you wouldn't have a random hole in the wall.
I do have a laundry room downstairs! It's actually just a couple feet behind where I was standing to take the fish room pictures. Thanks for that suggestion... I had also thought about potentially tapping into the dryer vent, and this gives me more hope that it might be a viable solution!

It would take approximately 20 feet of duct to make the connection, and then I would want to install one of those flap valve things to prevent dryer exhaust from being pushed into the aquarium hood. If I was to go this route, which I think I probably will, my only question is this: if I am constantly pumping air OUT of the basement, do I also need to draw air IN?

i use liquidized rubber for work it works great for roofs, shower stalls,stucco , flooring, and just about everything else you can think of best part is its voc free and excepted by canadian government as a food grade safe product can spray roll or brush on any cleanable surface and pond liner is just epdm rubber (same as we use for roofs) could prob save ya a few bucks there we allways have a couple 20ft x 100ft rolls around
That's another great idea, thanks! Being food safe isn't a big deal, as I wouldn't want to re-use any water that lands on the floor. The floor liner is just for mitigating damage to the house. Am I reading your description right, that it comes in rolls as well as paint? I would rather install a liner-type material that I can simply roll up like a rug and carry out down the road. Again going back to the philosphy of not making permanent aquarium-specific house modifications.

Dryer vent tap-in would be easy to remove and cap, the fish-room dividing wall will be relatively easy to rip down, and the picture-frame view to tank will be easily coverable with drywall. I originally wanted to have the tank straddle the wall so that 18 inches of tank would sit in the living room with the remainder in the fish room, but that idea got nixed.

Looks like you have a good plan, take your time and make sure you remember to have fun.
:)
My first reef tank was a great lesson in patience. I will be taking this build slow so that I get everything right... or at least as right as I can! Surely this tank will also have its share lessons to teach me ;). And I will certainly have fun! :D :D I'm already having a blast just planning this thing and researching.

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
the liquid stuff is white you just brush or roll on pretty well any clean surface like its thick paint and it hardens to a rubber coating with 260% elasticity.... the epdm rubber is black but could just flop out or glue to the floor is just a big rubber sheet on a roll but is pretty dull looking is the exact same stuff you buy as a pond liner from tsc or home depot

yveterinarian

Super Active Member
my only question is this: if I am constantly pumping air OUT of the basement, do I also need to draw air IN?
If you hook it up to constantly push air out you should have somewhere that draws some air in I think. I'm not sure but possibly every time you open a door to go in and out of the house may be enough. It is always good to have some form of air coming in to the room where your tank is though to help keep the pH more balanced.
I don't have my fan set to run all the time though. I purchased a humidity sensor from Home Depot and hooked it up to the fan so that the fan would come on automatically if it sensed humidity.
The fan and sensor are in the room where I have my two sumps, 5 ten gallon tanks and a 60 gallon tank all running and so far the fan hasn't come on automatically. I have a button on the sensor that I can press and it will run the fan for 1/2 hour so I do that in the morning and night when I go in to feed my seahorses. (yes, I checked that the sensor was working properly by blowing into it and it came on :)). I guess there isn't as much humidity as I thought down there right now. This summer was a different story because I had to have a fan running over the sump to keep the tank cooler and there was a lot of humidity in that room - prompting me to put the fan in.

curiousphil

Super Active Member
Thanks for your insight Yvette. Interesting that your humidity sensor never or rarely kicks off! Maybe because you already run the fan twice a day? Is the sensor adjustable?

BIGSHOW

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
Website
www.bigshowfrags.com
Awesome build thread Phil, it reminds me of my build a few years ago. Have fun and take lots of photos.

Whats with the big pieces of glass in the middle? is that some sort of brace?

curiousphil

Super Active Member
Awesome build thread Phil, it reminds me of my build a few years ago. Have fun and take lots of photos.

Whats with the big pieces of glass in the middle? is that some sort of brace?

That's exactly what it is.... I have asked if that brace can be reduced or made thinner by increasing the width of the euro brace. Should have an answer later today.

While I've got you in here Dave, I would like to ask: do you have any issues with your projector screen being washed out by aquarium light? We are thinking about having a projector that faces either the wall opposing the aquarium, or the wall that is adjacent.