Back In The Game...

Blake

Hey guys,

I'm Blake from Cambridge and was a SW tank owner years ago - but now back in the scoop.

In the midst of 90 gallon build, 30 gallon sump, coralife skimmer (may upgrade), MP 40, Mag 18 return, Giessmann x150watt halides (14,000k) 2x48" actinic T-5's, Wavepoint 40 watt HO LED strip (50/50), BRS RO/DI and 25 gallon storage tank. Looking to begin with a 2 inch sand bed and live rock in the coming weeks.

Looking forward to sharing tips and info as well as some build pics!

B

Blake

Trying to access Tapatalk via my iPhone. Had an old account but can't access thefragtank on there. Is there another screening process? I'm only assuming that I can add pics from my phone to Talkatalk? Sorry I'm the new guy haha.

Blake

Got her figured out, or at least I hope.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Blake

The fuge light is a 8 watt Skkye 14,000 k clamp light. Originally designed for nano, rimless applications. All I did was have a welder friend extend the arm a bit and attached a larger clamp.

yveterinarian

Super Active Member
sSig_welcome51_zpsa3e536f3.gif
to the fragtank and back to saltwater. The build looks great so far.
Are you planning on keeping sand burrowing fish at all? The reason I'm asking is because a 2" deep sand bed seems a lot if you're not. You could probably get away with 1" and save yourself some money and possible future heartache if the sand bed goes bad from the detritus buildup at the lower level.

Blake

You maybe right (I'm still the new guy with lots to learn and read). I've got a 40lb bag and a 20lb bag of sand with some of that going in the fuge.

B

Blake

Thanks for the help guys, I will grab another bag this weekend. Anything else you guys can suggest as I prep for water, sand and rock would be greatly appreciated :)

B

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
Another thing I just noticed is your sump design.

Just a couple questions. How many GPH are you planning to run through the sump? And what's the spacing between your baffle in the sump.

One thing I definitely see is your high baffles are really high. Normally you don't have them that close to the top of the sump. If something clogs your baffles its going to take a lot to spill over the top of the highest baffle.

Also the chamber that your skimmer is in, by the looks of it is going to have a pretty high water level. Which means you'll need a shelf in there to lift the skimmer to it's "ideal" water depth for optimal operation. May not be any issue, unless it pushes you skimmer so high that you won't be able to pull the collection cup off for clean due to the stand.

Just a few things I noticed

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
The mag 18 return pump will be way too much for that sump though. You will need to add a ball valve to choke the output a lot.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
Yes. The water will flow under the high baffles. But I'm always a firm believer that you should plan for the worse. If he uses filter floss between the baffles, and somehow it gets clogged. It's a disaster waiting to happen. Especially running a mag 18(just noticed that). The water will be racing over top of the baffles and could possibly roll over the edge of the sump and cause a flood.

Just pointing it out. Doesn't have to be fixed. But there's always a chance it could happen.

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
The mag 18 return pump will be way too much for that sump though. You will need to add a ball valve to choke the output a lot.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk
That too!

If you're planning to run reactors off of it as well, it might be ok. But like Torx said. That's a lot of flow through a 30 gal sump. I run a mag 9 through a 90 gal sump.

Blake

Thanks guys I have a mag 9 as well.

May use it based on your recommendations. Thanks fellas.

I plumbed in a lot last night, pics to come, and a new hood build in the coming weeks. Wallets taken a beating.