Auto Dosing

Kjmsmith

I am curious what people who auto dose their sumpless tanks use - regular dosing pump, peristaltic pump, gravity, other? I manually dose vinegar daily and occasionally soda ash and am thinking of automating this but not sure the best way.

Luke.

Distinguished Member
Jebao doser is a good one I’ll be buying one in the near future just mix up a batch of Soda ash and you’ll be good to go , if you watch a few YouTube vids it’s pretty helpful

Last edited:

Kjmsmith

Sorry for my ignorance but does the Jebao doser, or any other doser for that matter, pump the additive up from below the tank or do you need an aqualifter of some sort? I was thinking a doser is just a means to add a liquid at a controlled rate that pumps the additive up from the source reservoir then return feeds into a sump more by gravity than actually “pumping”. If they can pump up to the DT any idea of height limitations? I would assume it varies by product.

Winks

Website Affiliate
A doser will pump from below the tank up into the tank. I have a Jebao 4 head doser and have had it for over 3 years now. It works very well and will do a good job for you. There are many other types of dosing pumps but any of them will pump from below the tank. Your height might be a restriction if you were to try to pump from, lets say, the basement to the main from. It would be doubtful if a dosing pump would do that but from the floor to the top of your tank would not be a problem.

Kjmsmith

A doser will pump from below the tank up into the tank. I have a Jebao 4 head doser and have had it for over 3 years now. It works very well and will do a good job for you. There are many other types of dosing pumps but any of them will pump from below the tank. Your height might be a restriction if you were to try to pump from, lets say, the basement to the main from. It would be doubtful if a dosing pump would do that but from the floor to the top of your tank would not be a problem.
Thx - that's great to know!

gregsoreo

Just ordered mine. am curious what everyone is dosing....soda ash makes sense to me but anything else? Not sure I understand why vinegar and soda ash.

Jason Bell

After watching my friends tank for so long I am finally taking the plunge to ESV B-Ionic, picked up a couple gallon jugs and a dosing pump. Hopeful to have that set up this weekend.

Kjmsmith

Just ordered mine. am curious what everyone is dosing....soda ash makes sense to me but anything else? Not sure I understand why vinegar and soda ash.
The vinegar dosing is a form of ‘carbon’ dosing to help control elevated NO3 and PO4 which can be an issue in sumpless systems. A popular alternative to vinegar is vodka or to a lesser extent sugar. Essentially it is like using the commercial product NOPOX. The soda ash is to help balance kH. Good luck with the auto dosing.