Acclimating Corals

How do you acclimate your corals? (Not light and dipping)

• I just drop it in!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I only temperature acclimate (Float the baggie!)

• I drip my corals (Can include measuring cup method)

• Depends on the coral (Comments welcome)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Victoss

I know people (and LFS) have different opinions on this and I was just wondering how and if you acclimate your corals? (Not talking about light and dipping) Two votes are allowed and if choosing option 4 please tell us which corals you do what to.

Personally I just drop them in unless it's a coral such as an elegance or anemone and maybe a few other LPS if large or expensive, then its a drip. Most others (SPS and softies) have always been dropped in :p.

spyd

Super Active Member
I float them just to acclimate the temperature then drop them in. I also dip my corals that come from the LFS or an unknown tank just to prevent flatworms, red bugs, etc.

xxmurrxx

I temp acclimate, then dip with 1/2 my water, other half water it came with.
I'm sure if I ever bought an expensive coral i'd acclimate it the same as a fish though  ;D

R

reeffreak

Darryl_V link said:
Drop it in....maybe float the bag first.

Same I float the bag toss in a cup of my water then it goes in 20 minutes later .

R

reeffreak

Im going to add the only way you can get away with droppin it right in after a float is knowing that your tank can sustain it ... that being said you cant just drop in a frag of sps, if your tank parameters arent ready for it , it will most likely take a dump and turn white

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
I'll just say...

The tank is such an investment in time and $$$ that I wouldn't trust anyone's coral in my tank without dipping.  I've gone through enough "hey where did all my zoas go?" in my day to learn my lesson about unknown rock, sand or coral.  I'm in a good place, tank wise, so why risk it for the sake of a little $8 bottle (one of the few potions I like) :)

Victoss

Yep for the poll I excluded light and dipping because IMO you should always dip everything and lighting is a whole different matter. So to agree with you salty I would always dip any coral you put in your tank (maybe not an anemone/clam though). Even if I just drop a coral in I still give it a dip in it's bag/bucket.

From the looks of the poll seems most agree to floating first and then either drop or drip.

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
Since dipping is so popular I am interested in knowing what everyone uses for this.... Maybe a new thread?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Status
Not open for further replies.