30g Long Tank Lights

NickMyatt

Hello Everyone,

Looking to keep some leather corals and other softies, what light would you recommend for a 30g long tank?

I currently have a fluval Marine Pro 3.0 but i’m not sure if it has enough PAR to grow/keep coral, does anyone have some recommendations for lights that aren’t crazy expensive?

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
Could probably get a quad t5ho pretty cheap. Most the led boxes will be plenty for leathers as they have low light demands but you will want 2 for a 30 long. People have had good luck with the phlizon amazon boxes for softies. Other cheap options would be nicrew or lomini. All do well for leathers and softies. The stronger nicrew or lomini will even do LPS but don't expect them to grow sps well, maybe mounties.

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
The light I have goes across the whole tank, like it rests right on the lip, it’s not just one single light
Is it the 30 something Watt or the 52w? 52 w will grow some leathers and softies maybe zoas near the top but the 30w range is useless for coral. Most those bar style are not great and very low power and par output. Maybe add a single t5ho on either side to up the par since shallow. That would be your cheapest option.

For LED i always aim for 50-60w lights for easy soft, 70-80w lights for LPS, zoas and maybe some easy monties. 90w is bare minimum for sps but really 100-150w is best. 30 long you will want 2 of the smaller lights or 1 bigger one but you will get poor lighting spread and weak on the edges with 1

Under 50w its basically a fish only light. My 3 gal phyto culture takes 28w and its very low demand.

Mechano

Hello Everyone,

Looking to keep some leather corals and other softies, what light would you recommend for a 30g long tank?

I currently have a fluval Marine Pro 3.0 but i’m not sure if it has enough PAR to grow/keep coral, does anyone have some recommendations for lights that aren’t crazy expensive?
I’m assuming your 30g long is 12” high x 12 wide?
That Fluval sea 3.0 light should grow most softies and leathers no prob and even some low demanding LPS corals.