Disappearing Snails

reef keeper

Super Active Member
You will have no snails left and if you have a clam wave BUH bye to him too. I hate retailers that package up these things. More retailers means more chance for errors.

Bfofre

Only 3 snails left (from the dozen I put in Monday) at one time I had 30... slowly they've diminished.. But quickly since I've added these guys

Bfofre

And the confusing part... These guys do submerge themselves.. They say that whelks do not.. Hmmmm.. As a precaution they are banned.... In the sump they go...

reefgeek

I'm second guessing the diagnosis here as well. From what I have read the two distinguishing traits are eyes on the ends of eye stalks below the 'snout' and a trapdoor seal that closes them into the shell. I don't see either here.

yveterinarian

Super Active Member
I had some of the brown nassarius snails once and found out they were vicious. They attacked my garden eel and he had a terrible sore on his side. Once I removed them he healed nicely and hasn't had a problem since. I thought my eel was a gonner when I pulled the snail off him but I'm so glad he made it. He has lived a further three years so far so he wasn't a sick or dying fish when they attacked him. I purged my tank of all the brown nassarius and only buy the white ones now. I don't know if they are your snail killers but I still don't trust them.

Bfofre

All out! I think... Lol... So far the 4 remaining snails still alive.. Could be on to the culprits.. They will stay in my sump where they can't do any harm!

saltyair

Check for pyramid snails I did have them way back, and they decimated my snail population.
Also some turbo s are taken from cooler temps and don't do well in 78-81c