Sumpless Category?

Kjmsmith

Hi all, I’m not sure if there are many other members on this forum that run sumpless systems but if so, perhaps a sub-category on this site dedicated to those of us who for whatever reason have not gone with a traditional sump system. General reef discussions are great but sometimes situations differ between sump or sumpless - everything from hardware of pumps and filters to water chemistry and animal husbandry and perhaps a sub-category to share setups, successes and failures would be beneficial.
If Im an outlier and a minority in the TFT community then nevermind, please just dont respond with the usual answer we sumpless reefers get - “you should add a sump” lol...:rolleyes:

Winks

Website Affiliate
I have successively run a 75 gallon tank with a canister filter. I've a had few issues along the way but everything that I have grows and is very healthy. From time to time I think about adding a sump but at this point it's doing what it is intended for. I believe there are more people out there that do run a system without a sump and have no place to find out information for the system they are running. I think having a section for this would be a good idea.

Luke.

Distinguished Member
Ever since day 1 I never ran a sump , would I recommend a sump 110% if you really think about it there is no downfall to it , it gives you more water volume and you’ll never have clutter in the tank , and a great place for a refuge,

Only reason I never got into a sump was inexperience and money was an issue (a canister filter is 80-$300 tops) and a sump could run you more depending on a diy or buying one pre done ,

Atm I haven’t ran a canister in 3 years , or a sump

Just 5-10% wc a week and I run 2 reactors 1 for gfo and 1 for carbon and nitrates are around 1-3 ppm and things are well ! It all depends on preference and how much work you’re willing to put into your maintenance

Winks

Website Affiliate
Running without sump is definitely more work. I do 20% water changes weekly and thoroughly clean my canister every Sunday. The amount of corlalline algae in the tank is ridiculous!! The fish are happy, the coral are happy. What else can you ask for?

Luke.

Distinguished Member
Running without sump is definitely more work. I do 20% water changes weekly and thoroughly clean my canister every Sunday. The amount of corlalline algae in the tank is ridiculous!! The fish are happy, the coral are happy. What else can you ask for?

Honestly that’s why I stopped the canister , if you don’t clean it out as often as needed consistently it actually because I big problem ! And a nitrate factory !

All my fish are very happy (I’ve had all the same fish for 4+ years now) and corals allure always great (as long as I do tests and don’t slack on alk) ;) but 110% doable without a sump ..

On a side note I have a 120 set up waiting to get started WITH a sump , little intimidating but nothing like a few joints on a Saturday and lots of google and YouTube xp

Kjmsmith

Oh wow, I read all kinds of posts from all 3 of you and wouldn’t have thought you were sumpless! I dont know why but I have the preconceived perception that most of the knowledgeable members such as yourselves have ‘advanced’ setups. Thanks for sharing your vote for a category devoted this topic. I got into this hobby about 8 years ago and was overwhelmed with the whole drilled tanks and overflows and sumps and decided to keep it simple with a sumpless system. 8 years later if I had to do it over, yeah I would probably have a sump as it is in someways probably more ‘simple’ but I have had good success and a lot of fun with my setup and look forward to sharing more with other similar setups if the Mods do creat a category for this topic.