SOLD Overgrown Corals

Don Pitts

I have a green stylaphora , Acro, chocolate chip paly and a small Kenya tree Which have taken over
View attachment 21165
upload_2020-8-13_12-37-38.jpeg

Stylaphora no longer available
Acro still available

Attachments

• upload_2020-8-13_12-35-57.jpeg
    upload_2020-8-13_12-35-57.jpeg
    796.2 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:

reefpuffer

I'd take that paly cluster and the kenya, don't have much to trade as I'm just getting back in the hobby, but perhaps we could work out a fair price on it and I'd make the 2 hr round trip, let me know

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
I would highly suggest against taking those palys, not to bash the OP, but those things literally are the plague. They are INSANELY toxic to humans and they take over your tank. Ask me how I know, or ask anyone else in this forum. Otherwise it looks like the guy has a nice healthy tank, and the acros would be a great trade.

Don Pitts

I would highly suggest against taking those palys, not to bash the OP, but those things literally are the plague. They are INSANELY toxic to humans and they take over your tank. Ask me how I know, or ask anyone else in this forum. Otherwise it looks like the guy has a nice healthy tank, and the acros would be a great trade.
OK I’ll bite
How do you know
What would be a safe way to get them out and dispose of them?

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
I can tell by how many you have and if you don't stop them they will take over your tank, remove the rocks and throw it in the outside garbage.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
OK I’ll bite
How do you know
What would be a safe way to get them out and dispose of them?
I've had to nuke chunks of liverock in chlorine to clear them off. However, a good paste of pickling lime you can set them back but really hard to eliminate. I brought nothing but frags from my old tank, and I still ended up with a couple of these somehow surviving. They are just a plague. My biggest issues with them is the ability to detach and float to another area of tank. Most zoas you can contain by simply putting them on their own rocks, but these things....

Add in the incredible level of toxin this particular strain has, it's just a horrible "coral".

Josh

Not trying to pile on however my buddy was rushed to the hospital with an extremely high heart rate from this exact strain of paly. His wife knew enough to mention it to the doctors and they very much just sat and watched him.... there is no real treatment. What was he doing you ask.... scraping them off the rocks because they overgrew.

Do not boil them. If i can give you a piece of advice i would try dipping your rocks 1 at a time in a bucket of ice water. I have been told that they will sometimes detatch in ice water and you can take the rock out after. This will give the bacteria on your rock.

Easiest way to get palytoxic poisoning is through an open cut or it going airborn through out of water scraping or boiling. Boiling rocks is where most of these "stories" online about killer coral. They literally aerosol the palytoxin by doing that.