My Hearts Breaking

Falcon

Skyline apartments has initiated a new policy, no aquariums above 10 liters? that's 2.6 gallons, bare minimum for a beta. That's not even a size I would even consider keeping one in.

Whoever decided on this policy knows nothing about fish keeping.

I'm very upset, stressed and crying I have no clue what I'm going to do.

I've put my heart into this tank.

Josh

Yup they are starting to do this because of flood damage, what they dont tell you is that almost all the floods come from faulty relief valves in water/boiler systems. I know a building that has flooded 3x in London because of this. They are likely skapegoating to help lower insurance costs.

I would also probably keep the tank and see what happens.

Winks

Website Affiliate
I might be wrong but I don't think they can make you get rid of it. If it were me and I wanted to keep my hobby, I would move if I was forced to get rid of it.

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
I know by law (in Ontario at least) you can’t be evicted or forced to get rid of a pet unless they have caused damage, or are a disturbance to other tenants. Not 100% sure if aquariums are an exception, but I’ve never read or heard that they are. I’d keep it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Falcon

Yup they are starting to do this because of flood damage, what they dont tell you is that almost all the floods come from faulty relief valves in water/boiler systems. I know a building that has flooded 3x in London because of this. They are likely skapegoating to help lower insurance costs.

I would also probably keep the tank and see what happens.

damage was caused on my ceiling due to a leaky pipe a few years back and they were blaming it on the tank. They just didn't want to repair the ceiling and tried blaming the hole in the ceiling on me, I didn't know the hole was there until after I moved in. There are water pipes just above that part of the ceiling.

Theres also an air vent and thats how the bats got into my apartment the one year. I discovered the hole in the ceiling a year later when a squirrel made it's way into the apartment. I was wondering why it was getting so cold and drafty in my apartment during the winter and why it was like an oven in the apartment during the summer.

Not to mention the amount of humidity during the summer.

Last edited:

MrHermit85

I feel that if you already have the aquarium they shouldn’t be able to make you get rid of it considering that policy was not around when you signed your lease, I guess unless you signed a new lease. as stated above more leaks happen from faulty pipes in apartments than aquariums

Matt1997

Keep it. You’d be surprised what I snuck into my apartment. Get tenant insurance for $32 a month. $2,000,000 in damage and $50,000 coverage in personal

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
I used to own 15 apartment condos in town. If the building is covered under a condo agreement, they absolutely CAN tell you what you can and can't have in your apartment (no fish, no pets, no guns, no drugs, etc etc etc). If it's just strictly a rental suite I think you can argue that they are 'pets', however they are not telling you to get rid of pets, they are telling you to size down the tank, which I'm sure they can justify with water/structure/safety issues.

One of my apartments did have a faulty regulator on the water heater go... and yes I flooded 2 lower apartments. "Reliance home comfort" had installed the regulator, and had installed no pan under the water heater. Long story short I ended up pulling all the rental water heaters out of those units and replacing them with owned.
I also flooded 14 apartments under one of mine because a water feed line burst that was going into a costco toilet. That was a nightmare, I had people threatening my tenants, threatening me, and 2 lawsuits I ultimately had to fight (and won). Floods are not fun.

That said, I'm not a lawyer, and as a landlord I rarely got a fair shake, so I can tell you, if you're really upset, call the tenant tribunal. They HATE landlords and will literally do almost anything to eff one over in favour of a tenant. If there's a way to keep your tank, they're going to be the ones to tell you. https://www.pas.gov.on.ca/Home/Agency/451

Also, the moral of this story is: If you have anything rented through "Reliance home comfort", get rid of it and buy your own. Nobody in the whole damn world rents their water heaters except us, we're some stupid idiots that think it's normal because reliance scares you to thinking your place will be wrecked if you don't have them taking care of you. What they really are doing is charging you constant rent on something that ultimately will fail catastrophically (ask your reliance guy how often they change the anode rods in the tanks). Those rods have to be changed out (or at least checked) every 3-5 years. The rod attracts the corrosion, keeps it from eating your tank (they used to be glass, but that's another story), if the rods are corroded away you have nothing to keep the bottom from rotting out of your tank, and that's how a great many fail. Just remember EFF RELIANCE.

averhoog

I am a landlord with 23 units. They cannot change the lease you have. All my leases have in them that no fish tank over 10 gallons. I know how much damage that happens with my fish tank and cannot have that happen in one of my building. So unless there is a structural issue they can’t make you remove it now but any new people cannot bring one in.