Is My Torch Coral Dying?

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Just a note... Almost everyone here has very likely experienced the very same thing you are/have gone through. We get the tank, put in the rock, run the filter and want to get coral going. The thing about saltwater tanks is that it's a hobby that requires money and patience. Don't take this the wrong way, but unless you have both, you're going to struggle, at least until you figure out what works for you. For example, 10 weeks is a VERY young tank, and torch coral can be tricky even for an advanced aquarist. There are softies that will live through anything (palys, leathers, mushrooms etc) but something like torch requires EXTREMELY stable parameters and proper acclimation. You really do need to have good test kits until you get a grasp of the hobby, and the simple thing is, when something dies, you want to know what parameter was wrong when it happend, if that makes sense. Lots of experienced people here, but I'll tell you, arguing with them is just going to leave you frustrated and maybe out of the hobby before you can really get into it and enjoy it. I was ~10 years in before I stopped arguing, and that's when I really started having success.

On the plus side, there are tons of guys here that can supply coral frags, some of the best in the scene, so have patience, take it slow, and don't go full retard and fill the tank with 100 full sized colonies because you want the dream tank TODAY :)