Inexpensive DIY ATO

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

patrizio_g

This is a project for a DIY ATO.

i found the aqua lifter at incredible aquarium
http://www.incredibleaquarium.com/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&search_in_description=1&keyword=aqua+lifter&x=0&y=0

parts:
1 aqua lifter $19,99 CAD
air line i have some from my fw tank
1 digital timer $12 CAD at walmart
1 container for the water $4 CAD at walmart
1 chek air valve $2 CAD at walmart

Total $37,99 CAD pus tax it was around $45 CAD

1- Well first open 2 holes on the top of your container, one to put the house from where the water will be coming out, the other hole is for air to go in.
2- Put some hose through one hole and make sure it reach the bottom of the container, and the other end connect it to the suction of the aqua lift.
3- Connect   another piece of hose to the aqua lifter (where the water will come out) to a check air valve
4- Connect a third piece of hose from the check valve to the tank, swamp or refuge  
5- connect the aqua lifter to the digital timer
6- Now all you have to do is calculate the time it takes to fill your tank at the desire level and program the timer

And that's all you need.

I tested it and i takes 10 min to top off my 10 Gal tank, so i set it with 6 on off of 1 minute and 2 of 2 minutes, so it will fill my tank during the day, a bit at the time, i will see tomorrow how it works and do any adjustments if need it.

A easy way to calculate the time is running the pump to do the TO and time it, that way you will know how much time it will take;
then just get the time in to the digital timer.  

Have fun building it.

P

patrizio_g

if you want to do a inexpensive DIY dosing pump all you need is a regulator air valve from walmart or any LFS

1- first if you are using A and B solution you will need 2 of everything because you will have 2 containers one for A and one for B solution, so you will need two pumps 
2- you will have to put the valve regulator before the check valve
3- regulate the valve so it will dose 5 ml in one minute
4- calculate how many ml of A and B solution you will need for the day, and spread the dosage through the day. Example if you need 30 ml you can program the timer for 6 on and off of one minute each, you know that it will dose 5 ml in a minute so 5 ml X 6 min = 30 ml

Status
Not open for further replies.