Fragfest 2019? Dates?

Do we need more fragswaps and/or saltwater aquarium shows?

• Yes, more fragswaps

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • Yes, more aquarium shows

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, more fragswaps and aquarium shows

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 3 25.0%

• Total voters

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Two part, is there a date set for Fragfest 2019?

Also, is there any other fragswaps or clubs in the Southwestern Ontario area?

It has, just not announced as of yet. The website, facebook and TFT sites will all be updated over Christmas holidays. I just have not had the chance.

London Fragfest is the only one down here. The Brantford Coral show happens yearly in September normally. There was on in K-W a month or so ago. Also the Niagara Coral show is March 9 and 10th 2019. There have also been a few other smaller ones this past year.

As for the pole, my opinion is that there are too many already. Much like the stores have been suffering due to over saturation, there is a limited market to this hobby and an over saturation of shows means less people to each show leading to less motivation for the vendors to travel when they have shows closer to home with higher attendance due to population. It also guides the manufactures and retailers to supporting the larger shows with raffle items and giveaways because of the higher attendances while limiting the smaller shows due to their lower attendance. After all, they can only give away so much and they of coarse want to focus that on the higher attendance sites. It was extremely noticeable at London Fragfest last year due to another show happening a few weeks earlier. There were also several vendors hesitant about coming because of the anticipated lower attendance due to the GTA crowd had all just emptied their accounts in Niagara and no plans on going to London. Also vendors had sold a lot so they just barely refilled before having another show. I have a lot more information/opinion about it, but not sure if it is my place to discuss.

London Fragfest was started because thefragtank.ca backyard gathering at Ricks place had grown too large and we needed a larger venue. London was the perfect middle ground for this sites members to meet with people traveling everywhere from Windsor to Ottawa to get together. I plan on touching on that feeling this year and will have several announcements as the show grows closer.

Monnishan

I agree with Mark on this one. If we have too many it waters down the quality of the shows made. There are enough fragswaps going on, but I'd be more interested in seeing a more all encompassing show with fish and speakers. After all, I got into saltwater because I'd spent 23 years in freshwater and needed new challenges. Any chance to learn more and grow in this hobby is what excites me most about it. And getting to meet so many other great hobbyists

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Thank you Mark!! I will most certainly be there, and Niagara :)

Are there any clubs or meets around?

I am not sure about London Clubs. I know there is a Chatham-Kent Aquarium Society, however they focus mostly on fresh water. I was approached by them to start coming which is when I learned about them and that I would be the only salty guy there. I was going to start, however their meetings are at a time that I am not available to go. That should change in the next school year though. There is also MAST Canada (Marine Aquarium Society of Toronto). They used to have monthly meetings. Although they have been extremely quiet ever since they changed Presidents.

calli

I agree with Mark on this one. If we have too many it waters down the quality of the shows made. There are enough fragswaps going on, but I'd be more interested in seeing a more all encompassing show with fish and speakers. After all, I got into saltwater because I'd spent 23 years in freshwater and needed new challenges. Any chance to learn more and grow in this hobby is what excites me most about it. And getting to meet so many other great hobbyists

Hopefully that Toronto show does not get canceled again this year. http://www.reefexpo.ca/

The Niagara show looks promising too.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
MACNA actually originated in Canada. From their the US took it over, again due to the increased attendance and population. Niagara has plans to be the closest thing to MACNA and Reefapaloza.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Big_Als_London

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
Thank you Mark!! I will most certainly be there, and Niagara :)

Are there any clubs or meets around?
We used to have MACL here in London several years ago and it was fairly small but fairly successful until drama ended it and it became a bashing of different stores and people. There is also London Aquaria Society. They welcome people with marine tanks but its mostly freshies.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
I would just add my $.02 about "speakers". You really don't get much value for the $ to be honest. One year someone wanted me to fly in that mr saltwater tank guy. I've never really (personally) thought he was anything but a shill, for sale to the highest bidder, but I thought "hey some people might have heard of him". They wanted the flight paid for, hotel, transportation, and then an appearance fee. Just to have that guy show up and peddle whatever company paid him last. (to be honest I likely dislike him because he reminds me of Max Patioretty). Kind of soured me to the whole thing. It would be better to get one of the big names in the hobby/business do a Q & A period. Someone that is genuiney interested in helping hobbyists, not someone looking to peddle the latest cure-all or $$$ additive that you just can't 'live without'.

As for the proliferation of shows, I did sort of see that coming as well, every couple of months a new show seemed to appear, I know one show wanted my vendor contact list, and I felt like a jerk not sharing it, but I considered the other shows as competition, not all part of the 'one big happy family'. I thought they would end up diluting the customer base, and it seems they have :(

Of course, this is all me, and likely why Torx is probably a much better host for fragfest, as he is much much more diplomatic than I am :)

reefdiver

Website Affiliate
Website
www.sustainablemarinecanada.ca
I would be willing to put together / Sponsor a true Frag swap if the interest is there. Just hobbyists trading amongst each other and sharing ideas if there is enough interest?

I have also been talking to Torx about creating a "Fragtank Club" if there is interest. A monthly or by monthly meeting where people can attend, learn, listen to speakers, frag trading etc etc..

Copperkills

I would be willing to put together / Sponsor a true Frag swap if the interest is there. Just hobbyists trading amongst each other and sharing ideas if there is enough interest?

I have also been talking to Torx about creating a "Fragtank Club" if there is interest. A monthly or by monthly meeting where people can attend, learn, listen to speakers, frag trading etc etc..
Hi My name is Tyrone, and I’m an addict. It’s been 2 weeks since I last purchased coral and Ian is my sponsor.