can i use bag of phosban in my canister filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

crazybizzle

can i use bag of phosban in my canister filter, i did put up in looking forums for a phsban/media reactor but was wondering if i just put the stuff in a filter bag and put it in my canister filter would that work also??

Blob-79

Super Active Member
I dont see why not. I know many people just wedge a media bag full of it into their sumps. All the reactor does is ensure the phosban works at peak efficiency.

T

The Box of Water

In simple terms YES.  But ideally you would wand to have the media gently tumbling in a media reactor. The idea behind this is that 100% of the water has to pass through the phosphate media. If you place it i a canister filter or just in a bag in your tank or sump only a fraction on the water will pass through the media making it VERY inefficient. We do sell both the Phos-Ban reactors, Maxi-Jet Pumps as well as many Types of Phosphate removing media.

We Are Closed on Mondays but you can give us a call Tuesday if you have any additional questions.

Thanks,

Darren Bugeja
The Box Of Water

lewis844

i agree with box of water

you want your water flowing through the media and phos ban is not cheap you will need a lot in your filter

unless your filter is very small like a reactor like this

JordanHurst

I run the reactor listed above on my 120/60gal sump and it works great, I also have a fluval 305 onin the display and put the phosban in the bottom under the polishing pads and it stays in nice and seems to change color just like the media in the reactor.
Fluval makes a phospate remover granual packet, for fresh and salt that runs perfect in the canister fliters, I know its a jump at a price to get the reactor but worth it in the long run!
Id say give it a shot, save some $$$ and if the phosphate runs up on you get the reactor!

Cheers

Blob-79

Super Active Member
Not sure if you are so inclined, but they are actually very easy to make. Just do a google search on diy phosban reactor

Status
Not open for further replies.