Who Needs Mangroves??

hark

Looking to gauge interest who still needs mangroves. I know a few are interested, but I am not placing an order for 500 of them if only 100 are pre sold. before I place the order I would like to pre sell at least 300 of them so I don't carry the cost and time burden of keeping them in a tank.

straight up costs so far I have been quoted - 1.20 each USD including shipping to my house. Doesn't include the 20% loss that you typically get with mangroves or the cost of the zip lock bags - I don't charge for my time that's part of the fun of this.... I am not looking to make money on these, only cover my costs that's it. so for the pods themselves that's about 1.55 with USD/CDN conversion, add on 25 cents for a zip lock bag (I'm guessing, my wife buys that stuff) and another 40 cents per for dead loss coverage. so that is around $2.20 per mangrove pod for me to break even on each one assuming I sell all 400 of them (20% dead loss).

so lets see how many will sign up for a bunch at a time. I also would prefer people buy them in minimum order sizes of at least 10 or even better 20. I don't want to be sitting around the house waiting for someone to come by to pick up 4 dollars worth of mangroves if I am doing this on a cost recovery basis

thanks
Ryan

hark

Would u ship?
I might ship depending on how many are ordered, but since I am doing this on a cost recovery basis I would rather someone from the 'area' act as the drop shipper for me. order 80 or a hundred of them and then others order from you for the same price sort of thing. Otherwise it is not worth my wife's time (she does any shipping I need as I work 9-5 which is more like 8-7 most days) to make trips back and forth to the post office.

hark

Depending when he puts the order through. If he's able to drop them off at my house since I'm only 10min away... I can bring them to the show, if hark isn't going.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
they wont make it in time, even if we had pre sold 300 today they take forever to clear customs since they go through each pod to ensure they don't have leaves or a root system yet....real PITA to get them across the border.

Nonuser

Distinguished Member
I'll be in Vancouver on the day of the show.

If enough people order from my area, I'll do the hour drive and get em if everyone wants to meet me at the site of the brantford show. I was not expecting them until at least October.

zoomster

I would be in for the 20 hark.
I could also grab for @heath and maybe for some other members my way ( Port Rowan area which is fairly convenient for London area members ) if people are interested and ok grabbing them from me.

hark

thanks for replying, so far we are at around 60 if people took what they said they would. I don't need any, i used to sell these like candy to a few LFS so I have lots....I was just using my connections for a few people that had reached out.

I don't want to place an order for 500 until we pre sell a bunch more unfortunately. We would need to act quick, they do not do well sitting in customs in the cold months waiting for customs to check them (sometimes they sit for 10 days). the facilities are not well heated according to the shippers so dead loss goes up.

Jacobini man

hey man, just saw your posting on general discussion. Just a question, am I out of this as you need minimum of 60 for shipping? let me know.

thanks.

j

hark

I'm hoping people can get others around them to buy a bunch so I don't have to ship to too many people

If I was looking to make money on these then I'd ship you as many as you want, but since I'm only trying to recover costs I'm looking for other hobbiest to jump in and help out

Anne's Man

How long do the mangroves take to grow to say 1ft high.
I have a new tank coming next month.
So could start to grow then now.