Possible Velvet Issue In My Quarantine Tank

Anthony

Hey everyone,
I've seemed to have gotten passed my 4th day curse, by adding a ~6 week quarantine/arrival process.
now, I've come across another snag, my latest purchase (a coral beauty & purple dottyback) only made it to week 3, the coral beauty developed what looked like pop eye (swollen eye, followed by a cloudy eye) I was attempting to treat it, when both the coral beauty and purple dottyback develop a white fungus like coating (i'm assuming its velvet)
the purple dottyback was gone this morning, and i don't think the coral beauty will be swimming when i return tonight.
I've got Polyblab's Medic, Prazi-Pro and Cupramine on order.
1. What else should i get to treat this in the future?
2. This is the first time I've experienced an disease type issue, I've only been using this type process, to make sure the fish are eating, and to slowly raise the salinity and ph to match my DT ~6 to 7 weeks, nothing else has ever shown any signs of anything. What should I be pre-treating during this time?
3. How does everyone clean there quarantine tanks & equipment after an outbreak like this? Between uses, I drain the tank, let everything sit dry for 2 weeks or so, when i start it back up for my next use I add 1 gallon of tank water ~9 gals of ro water, and a few guppies (i have a small FW tank and they bred like crazy) I bring the salinity up to my DT, the guppies go to my sump, i remove 1/3 to half and add fresh RO water, which brings this tank to about 1.020 and i go to the LFS (I then adjust the salinity to match the bag from the LFS). Is there something else I should be doing to clean everything?

Sorry for all the questions,
and thanks for the help.

Anthony

nelson

Hello,

I recently had a velvet outbreak in my tank after a new arrival. At that time, I did not quarantine. Learned that mistake the hard way. It started about 3-4 weeks after I added the fish. There is not much you can do. Cupramine works the best. The Reef Medic works for ich but not for something this serious. If there are eating it is a good sign. My blue tang I didn't see eat for about a week, had bug eye, didn't really swim, but somehow made it though so don't give up hope. Copper is the safest way to treat velvet. I have read and talked to people that recommend a fresh water dip to get some of the parasites off, however this is only a temporary measure. I have read that you can use formalin to treat the fish but I do NOT recommend that because if the dose is just slightly off everything is dead. Copper and time is what I did. Good Luck.

Regards,
Nelson

shamous113

you can also treat velvet with Chloroquine phosphate. CP is great because you can go from zero to full therapeutic all in one dose, without negatively affecting the fish. This is not the case with copper, as some fish can be overly sensitive to it and sometimes stop eating or even die. In my qt I make sure the new arrivals are eating and then hit them with a round of API general cure and then use cp (new life spectrum ich sheild powder) for 21 days. after that I slowly raise the salinity thru water changes (1-2 weeks) and watch for any signs of infections. retreat if necessary.

When I clean my qt tank I make a bleach water solution, I soak all of the pvc fittings and wipe the tank down inside and out and allow it to dry out until I need it again. I don't cycle my qt tank.

Last edited: